Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no signal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ptts17

ptts17

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:33 PM

it's that old war cry again people! please help me! my grandsons compu kept shuting doown after 5 mins or so, my first reaction was the cpu fan as it was kinda noisy so i replaced the fan with a new one and started it up,the windows xp comes up then dskchk which i let run then it comes up "no signal" and a blank screen. I double checked all my connection's and they are "a" ok! any suggestion would be gladly appreciated guy's, jacko. :thumbsup:
J.F.PITTS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:43 PM

I'd try running a diagnostic on that drive, Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Have you tried booting without the drive attached?

FWIW: When chkdsk runs at boot...that's not a good thing. It means that the drive is in dire need of a chkdsk, for whatever reason. For me, it's my signal to run a disk diagnostic on that drive (since I routinely run chkdsk /r and should never have it try to run at boot).

Louis

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:04 PM

I see No Signal on my screen when my system shuts down and then the power goes off inside the box.

The monitor itself still has power, but is not receiving a video signal since the box is not running. After a minute or so, the monitor figures it out and switches to power saving mode and the message goes away.

When you see No Signal, is the box still running (can you hear the power supply fans), the necessary lights are on, etc. If yes and you still see No Signal, the monitor is not getting any video input. Could also be a loose cable, so unplug and replug them.

If the video card is separate (plugs into the motherboard), reseat it and check all the cables are snug (power off of course). You can even move the video card to another free slot if there is one. Maybe it got undone somehow in your other repairs.

Or... if you are running a chkdsk and it takes a long time, the system could be cutting out the video after some period of inactivity as part of your Power Settings (by design). When you see the No Signal and if the system sounds like it is running, move the mouse around or press the space bar on the keyboard to see if that wakes it up.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 ptts17

ptts17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:42 AM

suggestions in progress,Cheers!
J.F.PITTS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users