Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operating System missing in system recovery

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gency

Gency

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:32 AM

Hi everyone... I'm here begging for your knowledge to help me out of this mess my computer has got me into.

I'll try to keep it short.

I got the blue screen of death on Friday night, for no reason at all. :huh:

I made a vista recovery disk from Neosmart as I was getting nowhere with the F8 key.

Everything went fine from these instructions HERE, recovery disk loaded and went through the motions... however when it got to the part with the System recovery options, I didn't have any system on my list.
I also don't know where to find one in the drives... it just wants me to keep opening folders, so I can't even select the whole C:

So I click NEXT.
Nothing there in the following list works.
I've seen a post simalar to this one on the site but here's where my problem differs.
In the command prompt the directory is
X:\Sources> and not X:\windows\system32
which wont allow me to type in any prompts giving me this message everytime
' ...... is not recognized as an internal or external command, orperable program or batch file'

Sooooo what do I do???

Anyone that can shead some light on this, I'll be soooo grateful. :huh:
I'd hate to have to reinstall everything and loose all my stuff and I've no clue how I could even back them up as the system wont even start up without the recovery disk. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gency

Gency
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:22 PM

I'm so sorry to bump... but could anyone pleeeeeeease help me with this, I've searched and searched all over the internet and just can't come up with a solution.

Anyone :huh:

#3 jlb12

jlb12

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:43 PM

The couple times I have had to redo Vista, it wouldn't do a repair. Had to reinstall as original. Load in drivers etc and keep all files in folder. Like XP but a little more demanding. Go step by step like original install.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:51 AM

From the command prompt, type:
ren c:\windows\system32\winload.exe winload.exe.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\boot\winload.exe c:\windows\system32\

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users