Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Programs needed for starting a Repair Business!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:19 AM

I am starting up my own computer repair business. I am wanting to find the best software programs for repairing such things as: corrupt registry, backing up a computer in windows and outside of windows (crashed system), Anti-Virus and Malware programs. What should I have in my CD case to allow me to have the best shot at fixing a clients computer.

UBCD4WIN, Acronis True Image Bootable CD, Paragon Partition manager, Puppy Linux (what is this used for?) Bootable CD, Malwarebyrtes, Spyware Dr, XP and Vista Operating system CD's, Active password changer, Autoruns.

Any suggestions on good programs to use and what their used for would be very helpful. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:52 AM

UBCD4WIN, Acronis True Image Bootable CD, Paragon Partition manager, Puppy Linux (what is this used for?) Bootable CD, Malwarebyrtes, Spyware Dr, XP and Vista Operating system CD's, Active password changer, Autoruns.

All good. May I add SystemRescueCD?

#3 zarraza

zarraza

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:20 PM

In all honesty this is almost an impossible question to answer - I have been doing this for over a decade - and I'll stumble on a new cool tool by accident when googling for some other things.

another thing I have been playing with is portableapps - there are a lot of useful tools that you can use that require NO footprint on the machine you are fixing - they have an antivirus scanner - which is sometime a godsend - (just make sure to keep it up to date with the virus defs.)

I ran across this site too - with a few rescue CD ISO's for virus scanning - not sure how well they work - as how would the definitions get updated in an ISO - but definitely something to look at
http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-ant...-download-list/

Good Luck with your business!

***EDIT*** find yourself a good undelete program - this is something that will prove invaluable.
I used a program the other day to recover my mileage log called RECUVA and while it didn't "undelete" perfect Excel files, it looks like it may have recovered just enough fragments for me to put my spreadsheet back together

Edited by zarraza, 22 June 2009 - 02:39 PM.
Mod Edit - Removed Link To Password Breaker Per Rules

#4 rezalg

rezalg

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:47 PM

You could also go to online sites that offer scans. Some are for viruses, other for malware. Trend Micro, McAffee and others that offer the online scans. Nothing to install - you just give the site permission to scan the system in question.

Also get Hiren's Boot CD. Aside from being able to boot a dead system, it has many tools. You can access the file structure the way you can with Linux - but this is with a pared down ver of XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users