Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

extra instance of iexplore.exe running

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ssharpe

ssharpe

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:25 AM

Hi, I am hoping someone here can help me identify if this is a malware/spyware issue. I am running Explorer 8 on a WinXP (SP3) machine. When I run IE8 there is additional iexplore.exe that starts up and I cannot close it (if I do, it just pops up again). This extra instance of iexplore.exe is the only one that runs regardless of how many IE8 windows I have up -- i.e. have 1 window up, Task Manager will show 2 instances of iexplore.exe, 6 windows up, Task Manager will show 7 instances of iexplore.exe. This extra instance of iexplore.exe does not run at startup and it does not run unless I startup IE8 first. It also seems to take up more memory than the IE8 windows that I startup myself. I have Avira Antivirus and have also run Kaspersky's online scan and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, none of them have spotted anything.

Does anyone have any idea why I keep getting this extra instance of iexplore.exe? I suspect it might be some 'legitimate' application that is causing the problem and that might be why none of the scans pick it up. But I have looked over everything running on this system and don't see anything odd. There are no IE8 add-ons except for the usual Flash, Java, Adobe Acrobat, no other toolbars or apps. Any input appreciated. Thank you.

** I came across a post on another website where a user notes that IE8 on WinXP will run an extra instance of iexplorer.exe, and eat up lots of memory, due to its crash recovery feature. I think this explains my issue. Admin feel free to delete this post or leave up since I assume others might notice this oddity with IE8 and run around frantically trying to scan for malware/virus/trojans.

Edited by ssharpe, 08 June 2009 - 07:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,051 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:07 AM

I came across a post on another website where a user notes that IE8 on WinXP will run an extra instance of iexplorer.exe, and eat up lots of memory, due to its crash recovery feature.

That's my understanding too.

With the Automatic Crash Recovery feature, Internet Explorer8 will open a new process for the main window and another process with any opened tab. This feature allows Internet explorer to prevent itself from closing when a web site in one tab crashes. It has also been reported that this utilizes high memory resources.

Edited by quietman7, 08 June 2009 - 11:31 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users