Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fedora 10 install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Veridis Quo

Veridis Quo

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:51 PM

I apologize in advance for this being long but here goes. I've just built a new system and I'm completely new to Linux. I installed Debian but didn't really like it, plus the screen resolution was off. I formatted the HDD and installed Fedora 10 my first choice. Now the problems arise, when I was installing the OS I couldn't get the graphical installer Anaconda to work just the text based one. This wasn't a big problem but it was the foreshadow of problems in the future. After I boot the Pc up for the first time I come to a command prompt looking page which asks me to login, I login but can't get pass the page. After reading on this forum and others I realize the display needs to be reconfigured but with my video card in I can't get pass the command prompt. I removed the video card and the same thing happens but this time I can login and get to the desktop as root, I have since created another user for the pc. Other problems include Movie player won't play movies. Error message "Totem cannot play this type of media (DVD) because it does not have the appropriate plugins to be able to read from the disc." I've updated the OS and been in the repositories, but that's a problem that can be solved later. Also when switching from Root to the other user I get this message "The name org.gnome.DisplayManager was not provided by any .service files" and the screen goes black. Something tells me theses are all connected but as i said in the beginning I brand new to Linux. Any help is appreciated and I'm sorry if I don't reply ASAP I won't be back till Monday morning EST. Thanks again

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 debtboy

debtboy

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:12 PM

Veridis,
It's hard to tell what's going on from your description,
but it might be that Fedora didn't recognize your
video card or monitor, so your booting into Run Level 3 (prompt).

You want Run Level 5 (GUI)
Try startx which probably won't work.
If not your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file may need to be modified.
Try running:
su root and enter password
then try
system-config-display and tell us what happens
The Owls are not what they seem...

#3 Veridis Quo

Veridis Quo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:31 PM

OK I'll try to elaborate, with the video card in (ATI Radeon HD 4670) I couldn't run any commands in the command line. Command/file not found on all commands system-config-display was one of the ones I tried, with the video card out I end up at the command line but can use startx. It boots to the desktop and basically runs fine except for the disk drive not playing DVDs which is just a small problem for me now. I'll run system-config-display without the video card and see what happens. Thanks

Update: command not found

Edited by Veridis Quo, 08 June 2009 - 10:04 PM.

#4 Veridis Quo

Veridis Quo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:21 AM

I've also noticed that when booting I get the error ata softreset failed. I haven't had an opportunity to do research on this error yet so I'm quite blind in this problem. I hope that can help diagnose the cause.

#5 debtboy

debtboy

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:21 AM

I'll run system-config-display without the video card and see what happens. Thanks

Update: command not found

Did you
su root ??

If you did then you need to install it.
yum install system-config-display

Now run it as root.

Additional Note: Fedora 11 came out today!!!

Edited by debtboy, 09 June 2009 - 04:45 PM.

The Owls are not what they seem...

#6 Veridis Quo

Veridis Quo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:25 AM

I burned a live Fedora 11 disk and installed it on the computer. It cleared up the issues. I was aware that it was being released but needed to finish the build as soon as possible. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users