Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IPB ticker in "Header and Footer"

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mckooter

mckooter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:19 PM

Im running Invision power board 2.3.5 on my board, ( a gaming site ( http://tekagis.com )) and have just recently been given access to a xml file that holds the data of what users are online ( within the past 5 minutes )

what I am trying to do is a ticker, (no ajax needed) to show what users are online, the problem is I don't know how to incorporate this into the site. I have a few questions:

A ) the <MARQUEE> tag: how terrible is it to use if its legitimate? if its not acceptable anymore can you reccomend a decent alternative. i tried one css one, but the calculations were done with a scale of pixels, and i need it to span the entire length of the forum which is fluid, and all the math was on pixels so it was beyond my skills to rewrite it

B ) how can i incorporate this into the header/footer section of invision power board? i have tried includes, they dont work in that area of the board. I researched a bit on google and found: <!--exec.file=xxxx.php--> but this just seems to execute the file and not actually display the results,

in a perfect world id be able to do:

<MARQUEE> <?php include("file.php"); ?> </MARQUEE>

and make the php file output the data like i want, but somehow i cannot seem to make ipb include the file like I want

any suggestions?

thanks

Edited by mckooter, 07 June 2009 - 10:21 PM.

You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users