Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get to the logon screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tscurry

tscurry

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:33 PM

Hi BC,

Here's my issue. Whenever I try to boot my computer normally, it will automatically ask me for the password for the Administrator account. This isn't my usual account. Upon entering the password, it will take about two minutes to display the desktop background with no icons or toolbar. It had been getting slower and slower before reaching this point, and for some strange reason it automatically opened my My Documents folder as soon as I logged in. (It still opens this folder as soon as I log in with safe mode.)

I can only get online by booting into Safe Mode with Networking. I've attempted to run Ad-Aware, Malware Bytes and Avast! while in Safe Mode then boot back up. All three found threats and removed most of them, but Avast! and MBAM both run into a file labeled
"c:\windows\system32\ihfzbfow.dll" that cannot be quarantined or deleted.

I've updated both MBAM and Avast!, but Ad-Aware will not allow me to update at all. I get a message that says "System error: 1814 has occurred. Description: Could not login to service. Are you running this application as another user?Application terminates"

I also tried a boot time scan with Avast!, but it doesn't actually scan. The message pops up saying it's about to, but it automatically goes to the logon screen for the administrator with 0 files scanned.

At this point, I've used msconfig to just have the computer automatically start in Safe Mode with Networking since I get frozen otherwise. I also noticed the file "ISMModule4.exe" showing up in my startup files after using msconfig. I removed the check mark and ran autoruns. I didn't see the file there, but I did remove a few others labeled as malware or unnecessary. but I'm out of ideas what to do from here.

Here's the computer info:

Intel Celeron processor
768 MHz
192 MB of RAM
Windows XP Professional Version 2002

There is no SP2 or 3 and I can't upgrade, it said the key was already in use and sadly I can't afford to buy the OS. (If I had $200 to buy the disks I'd just get a new computer with it preinstalled :thumbsup: ). Can I still save it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

Do you have SP1 installed?

If not, then you are using an unpatched version of Windows XP. Installing All CRITICAL Updates and security patches up to and including SP1 will help to prevent crippling malware attacks. Without doing this first, you are wide open to re-infection and other high security risks which are prone to an unpatched system and you are just wasting your time.

With that said, infected systems on the Internet are a security risk to everyone. When someone uses an insecure or infected computer, malware spreads faster and more extensively, distributed denial-of-service attacks are easier to launch, spammers have more platforms from which to send e-mail and more machines become compromised so I will offer some suggestions you can try.

You can try using VIPRE Rescue - the size of the downloaded application is large. This is a command-line utility that will scan and clean a computer which is so badly infected that programs cannot be easily run. Be sure to print out and follow the instructions provided on the same page.

These are links to Anti-virus vendors that offer free LiveCD or Rescue CD files that are used to boot from for repair of unbootable and damaged systems, rescue data, scan the system for virus infections. Burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD. All (except Avira) are in the ISO Image file format. Avira uses an EXE that has built-in CD burning capability.If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO. If you need a FREE utility to burn the ISO image, download and use ImgBurn.

Note: In order to use a rescue disk, the boot order must be set to start from the CD-ROM drive. If the CD is not first in the boot order, the computer will attempt to start normally by booting from the hard drive. The boot order is a setting found in the computerís BIOS which runs when it is first powered on. This setting controls the order that the BIOS uses to look for a boot device from which to load the operating system. The default will normally be A:, C:, CD-ROM. Different computers have different ways to enter the BIOS. If you're not sure how to do this, refer to:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 tscurry

tscurry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:54 PM

Thanks for the fast reply. Unfortunately, I don't have Service Pack 1 either, and with the problem of the invalid key I can't even install it. (Curse my luck! I would manage to pick the computer with pirated software. :trumpet: ) Not to mention the fact I don't have the ability to burn a CD. (This computer was bought a long time ago at a Salvation Army. I'm starting to see why they got rid of it. I'm amazed it lived the two years that it has without any major issues. :flowers: )

Based on the information you gave me, it sounds like my best bet is to take the hard drive out of my old computer, which does have Service Pack 2 and place it in this one (If it'll fit. :thumbsup: ), or to prepare to myself for digging though the forum to see what can be done to get video to play right on the old one. I'll save my files and try to go from there. Thanks again.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:33 AM

This computer was bought a long time ago at a Salvation Army. I'm starting to see why they got
rid of it

If you believe you are a victim of software piracy or counterfiting, I suggest you contact Microsoft directly. Support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338). Phone numbers for international support can be found here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users