Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading ram

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jt23

jt23

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:11 PM

I have searched all over the internet about this but want to be clear.

Ok so I have a dell xps 600 With windows media center addition, Pentium D Processor wich has 2 cores, Nvidia geforce 6400 and 1 gig ddr2 pc2- 5200 ram via 2 512 sticks and my hard drive currently has 167 gigs used space and 130gigs of free space. But most the time the computer is slow to boot some programs like itunes take forever to load sometimes internet explorer is slow loading or freezes for a minute when trying to exit multiple windows. When closing out of most programs or games windows takes awhile to adjust and seems to run slow for a few minutes before it returns to normal. I have used multiple antivirus programs like avast anti virus and norton 2009 and avg as well as spybot I have used registry fixers and cleaners and done disk defrags but nothing works to really increase overall performance. So I decided I want to upgrade my ram and found from tigerdirect.com a deal which would give me 4 gigs of ram I know that windows 32bit will not use the full potential of the 4 gigs but I think it is cheaper deal than buying seperate 1 gig chips. So my main question is would upgrading my ram from 1gig to 4gigs increase the overall performance of my computer as mentioned above and what other suggestions would you recomend to increase the speed Also last quick note is I have tried going to msconfig and disabling startup programs and while it may help a little not really much difference.

Greatly appreciate the help.

Edited by jt23, 07 June 2009 - 08:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PcProbs

PcProbs

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

Upgrading the ram should help with your problem but probably will not totall fix it. Sometimes the problem is that you have too much stuff on your hard drive which casue the computer to run alittle slower so in my opion get the ram but go through your HD and delete any uneccessary stuff

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:48 PM

Slow Computer - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22278

10 Reasons Why Your Computer Runs Slow - - http://www.bestsecuritytips.com/xfsection+...rticleid+43.htm

Think of it this way...doubling your RAM cannot do anything but help the system run better.

I have 4GB installed in this system, running 32-bit XP. For the price of RAM today, it doesn't even matter if XP uses all of it or not, go with the 4GB, it will be a decided improvement over 1GB.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.a...;l=en&s=dhs

http://www.crucial.com/store/ListParts.aspx?model=XPS%20600

Louis

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:02 PM

Running XP with a gig of ram I don't think your problem is so much a lack of memory as it is you have simply overwhelmed the unit with running programs.

Very little actually has to start & constantly with Windows.

I suggest downloading StartupCPL & installing it,

http://www.mlin.net/files/StartupCPL.zip

Unzip & double clock.
When installed it will put a icon in the Control Panel named startup
When you double click the icon a box will open
There are tiny boxes next to the programs that start with XP
By clicking a box the checkmark is removed & that program won't start with XP but will still work when you launch it manually.
You can't stop everything but many can be stopped.
If you stop something that causes a problem simply put a checkmark back in the box & restart the unit.

Also, What anti-virus program you have can affect the speed of your computer.
Norton & McAfee are both known resouces hogs.
If you have anti-adware or malware scanners running they will slow it down noticably too.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 jt23

jt23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:12 AM

When checking on newegg.com and putting my computer specifications in it only shows me memory sticks with 2 gigs or less would this system support more than 2 gigs like 3 gigs or 3.5 I have 4 memory slots in the mother board. Not sure what type of motherboard I have.

I finally Figured out I have a nividia nforce 4 sli intel edition and for southbridge it says nforce 4 MCP

Edited by jt23, 08 June 2009 - 10:01 PM.

#6 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:21 PM

I have searched all over the internet about this but want to be clear.

Ok so I have a dell xps 600 With windows media center addition, Pentium D Processor wich has 2 cores, Nvidia geforce 6400 and 1 gig ddr2 pc2- 5200 ram via 2 512 sticks and my hard drive currently has 167 gigs used space and 130gigs of free space. But most the time the computer is slow to boot some programs like itunes take forever to load sometimes internet explorer is slow loading or freezes for a minute when trying to exit multiple windows. When closing out of most programs or games windows takes awhile to adjust and seems to run slow for a few minutes before it returns to normal. I have used multiple antivirus programs like avast anti virus and norton 2009 and avg as well as spybot I have used registry fixers and cleaners and done disk defrags but nothing works to really increase overall performance. So I decided I want to upgrade my ram and found from tigerdirect.com a deal which would give me 4 gigs of ram I know that windows 32bit will not use the full potential of the 4 gigs but I think it is cheaper deal than buying seperate 1 gig chips. So my main question is would upgrading my ram from 1gig to 4gigs increase the overall performance of my computer as mentioned above and what other suggestions would you recomend to increase the speed Also last quick note is I have tried going to msconfig and disabling startup programs and while it may help a little not really much difference.

Greatly appreciate the help.

Hi jt23',

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your posting.

Since you are using Norton AntiVirus 2009, you should remove AVG, as it is also a real-time virus scanner and you should never have more than one installed at the same time, or it can cause conflicts which can slow your computer down and also leave your system vulnerable to infection. Spybot S & D will work fine alongside Norton AntiVirus, but make sure that both the "TeaTimer" and "Sd Helper" features are disabled as they can cause problems.

It looks as though your system does have a decent amount of memory, however adding more memory should give you a performance gain , as long as Windows is not corrupted and you do not have any infections or other software conflicts.

Contrary to what others may say, Norton AntiVirus 2009 is very lean and will not consume many resources at all. Be sure that you have the latest version and that your definition files are current as well. Although updates are automatic in Norton AntiVirus 2009, you can also manually run LiveUpdate from the main interface window to see if there are any updates that have not been applied. If any updates are installed, restart your computer.

You may want to boot into Windows Safe Mode and perform a full scan with Norton AntiVirus from there, as some infections can only be detected in Safe Mode.

Thank you,
Mike

Edited by Michael York, 11 June 2009 - 07:28 PM.

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#7 justjules

justjules

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:33 AM

Hi jt23, have a look here and it will tell you some specs: http://www.trustedreviews.com/pcs/review/2005/11/23/Dell-XPS-600-SLI-Gaming-PC/p5 cut and paste this into your address bar. It looks like your system could take the 4Gigs of RAM and with prices what they are it sounds like it might be worth it. But if you want to make a real difference back up all your files, make sure you have all your program discs or exe files saved, make sure you have the drivers for your machine and of course the OS disc and reinstall it. This will give your machine a new lease of life. If you have never done this before then I suggest you research it Thoroughly.
Best of luck
JJ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users