Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Luring with spam

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:41 PM

I have been remarkably free of spam for quite a while, but I got one today.

The sender was someone I'd never heard of, with a woman's name and another woman's name in the "Subject" line. The email itself contained a few words arranged in two nonsense sentences, and a link to a website.

I did not click on the link. As obvious as that course of action was, it actually took a bit of conscious effort -- I'm a very curious person.

I ran the website's name through Google and nothing obvious came up, but it could always have been hacked by someone.

Which is the long winded way of getting to my question. Is there any way to test a website to see if it's dangerous before you go there? I'm pretty well-protected -- I'm running Firefox with NoScripts and a few other addons, a good Hosts file, etc., but still didn't think it would be awfully smart to go there ... but I'm still curious as to what's hiding behind the door.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sidorak95

sidorak95

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

The 2 nonsense sentences could be another language. Have you tried a translator?

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:25 PM

Oh no, they were English words but they made no sense either individually or put together. For instance it included the words "orbital," "swimming pool," things like that. Arbitrarily grouped and terminated with a period, but not a sentence in the sense of having a subject, verb, etc. The words struck me as nonsense because they had no meanings in common.

I probably didn't do a good job of explaining that.

EDIT: I assume that some English words were pasted together to make it look (to a machine, at least) like the email contained a legitimate message and pass through spam filters.

And, BTW, I wish there was another name for this -- I like Spam, sliced, fried and served on rye bread with yellow mustard.

Edited by Capn Easy, 07 June 2009 - 08:35 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:48 PM

I use these to check url's
LinkScanner

Dr.Webb Check URL Scan

Norton Safe Web
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:33 AM

This is a useful thread. Thanks for the links Boop.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:35 PM

Thanks, boopme.

The first link didn't work for me -- I assume it's incompatible with Firefox or some of the addons I've got -- but the other two worked. Neither of them reported a problem with the page, but I haven't checked it out in person.

I'll keep these links, though. I have stumbled upon hacked sites in the past.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:33 PM

You're very welcome :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users