Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

anti virus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pk3r

pk3r

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:15 PM

well i have McAfee 8.5i and I would like to have a new free anti virus.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:41 PM

Hello I like and use Antivir,it can be found in our list here. Freeware Replacements

I recommend you use the Uninstall Utility first using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe)

I am also moving this from XP to the Antivirus forum.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:16 AM

Hello I like and use Antivir,it can be found in our list here. Freeware Replacements

I also agree AntiVir is a great antivirus.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:56 AM

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use a paid for product or free alternative.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 gr277

gr277

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:58 PM

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use a paid for product or free alternative.

Totally agree with above comment..... :thumbsup:

One of the free programs you might wish to consider is Avast
I have used it in the past and it tends to have good performance reviews. I am not keen on the default user interface, but then you can download and use a number of additional skins.

I currently use ESET NOD32 Antivirus4 (not free).

Edited by gr277, 08 June 2009 - 12:59 PM.

Basil
Καλημέρα φίλοι

Posted Image

#6 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:00 AM

Hello everyone!

I was using McAfee untill I had to uninstall it, to try to reinstall it back on my computer after a problem developed. But so far I have been unable to reinstall it due to it taking so long to download and it keeps getting interupted during the download. I had asked McAfee about this and they never got back to me. I know part of the problem is I have dial-up internet access. So I too am in the process of looking for something new.

I have to agree that it is a personal preferance and also what best works on your particular computer. For example: I have read some bad reviews on "Norton". But, I have also heard nothing but rave reviews from everywhere else and from most everyone on here. So, what is one to believe when you see something like that?

That is why I feel Unless a program has a history of terrible performance, give it a try. Because it might just work like a dream on your particular computer and with your specific needs.

Another thing I like to look at is customer service. If I have a problem or a problem pops up with the product I am using will that company provide good service? Or is all they just care about, is you buying/using their product?

Whether it is a free program or a paid one, do some research and ask around and see what other people are using to get an idea. Then start with the list that is mentioned above for free-ware alternitives.

That is my advice and what I intend to do as well.

#7 pk3r

pk3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:23 AM

Thank you groffeaston for the advice

i did some research and i found this http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
should i download this avast version or a more recent one?

any ideas?

-pk3r

#8 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:05 PM

pk3r

The one you linked to is the latest one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users