Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing a Windows "build"?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 atazk

atazk

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:30 PM

I have several versions, or builds of windows installed on my computer, and i need to remove a few. When booting up, i can choose which build to load, and in the c drive, i have several windows folders,WINDOWS, WINDOWS.0 and so on, how do i go about removing one of these?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:54 PM

You could simply try deleting .
You won't be able to delete the one that's in use.

Make sure your recycle bin is empty
Try deleting a Windows folder
If you can't delete it make sure you know which it is
Check the recycle bin to make sure nothing has bgeen put in, if it has restore all
Try to delete a different Windows folder.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:19 PM

As FJB said...boot into the one you want to keep...and simply delete the Windows folders of the others.

You will still have to adjust your boot.ini file (remove the now-deleted installs from it) and you can do that by Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm

This will not work for either Vista or Windows 7, since they use a different bootloader.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users