Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee disabled - computer slow

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 LaurieG

LaurieG

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:57 PM

Hi All,

For moderators - please do NOT merge this post with anything I might have posted before - this is a completely different laptop with a completely different set of issues - so do not merge it with any other posts.

The laptop is very slow - it has McAfee antivirus on it but the little icon in the lower right hand side of the screen that should be white/grey with a red M in it is light blue with black junk in it that you can't read and it has no actual pattern.

I am assuming the reason I can't get McAfee going is because I have something on the computer virus or malware related that is stopping McAfee.

I have attached the Malwarebytes log - it found nothing.

I have also attached the Hijackthis log.

If you see anything you think I should get rid of I would appreciate any guidance!

Thanks much in advance for your help.

LaurieG

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LaurieG

LaurieG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:44 AM

Its looking like I'm heading into situation #3 with problems poted but no resolutions found... :-( That would be 3 posting with 0 fixes so far.... ouch.

#3 LaurieG

LaurieG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

I think this one is resolved. Here's what I did:

Went to Control Panel - Programs and Features - and uninstalled McAfee

Went to the following website and downloaded (from McAfee) MCPR.exe - this program removes any and all files that might be left hanging after you uninstall McAfee - this step is also very important. The website to download it from is:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licens...atches/MCPR.exe

Then I reinstalled McAfee and it got rid of the little blue & black icon and gave me back the normal McAfee grey box with a red M in it.

As far as why the laptop was slow - there were many reasons, part of it was missing Windows updates and service packs, part of it was too many programs in the startup, etc.

Those are really on a different topic area so I won't go into all that here.

From a Malware perspective - in my case, it wasn't Malware causing the problem and it wasn't Malware stopping McAfee. I've seen this twice now on computers where recent McAfee updates were applied and then right after that - it started giving symptoms like I had here so I'm not totally convinced it wasn't a bad update from McAfee - but I certainly don't know that for sure.

Hope that helps somebody out there.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:05 PM

Hello

Thank you for letting us know your issues are resolved. Our HJT forum is extremely busy so it can take some time - over a week - to get a response. The lack of response is not because the topic is lost, ignored or forgotten. I'm glad that your computer problems have been fixed. Since this issue seems to be resolved, this thread will now be closed.

In case you experience any problems with the computer, please start a new topic.

Happy computing,

Orange Blossom :thumbup2:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users