Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

agp4x and agp8x hard drives

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 atazk

atazk

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

i have this agp4x samsung hardrive with about 30gb i received from a friend (the model seems to be spinpoint SP0411N), but when i try to insert it into my agp8x computer, the computer doesnt boot up at all, which lets me think i installed it wrong. For one i connect an internal power cable to it and the IDE/PVC cable, i even tried just with the power cable, and just with the IDE/PVC cable. Any input on what i should do would be a great help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:12 PM

AGP 4X or 8X has nothing to do with hard drives.
AGP stands for Accelerated Graphics Port
That is a add-in card slot for a video card.

If you got a different hard drive & put it in your computer it needs to have the little jumper on the back by the cable connectors set to Master .
If it already has Windows installed on it there is more then a good chance Windows won't start ,
The hard drive will have all of the drivers installed for the computer it was removed from.
That will more then likely cause >Windows to not start.

If you are trying to use it for a secondary drive just for added storage it should be set to Slave or Cable Select .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 atazk

atazk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

and how would one go and do that? it does have windows installed on it, and i do want to use it for added storage. I even tried to load the computer by replacing my hard drive with the other one and it still wouldnt load.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:06 PM

First you need to get the original hard drive working again.

Assuming you haven't moved the jumper on the original hard drive hook the ribbon cable up using the very end connectror.
[Check to make sure the ribbon cable is fully seated in the motherboard connector also]
Hook the power cable up
see if it will start.

Once you have it working again look on the back of the "new" hard drive
Locate the jumper & set it to Slave or Cable Select
Hook it to the middle connector on the ribbon cable & hook up a power lead

Start the unit
The "new" drive should show in My Computer
Right click on it & on the menu click Format
It should be reformatted & be empty & usable .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:26 PM

<<I even tried to load the computer by replacing my hard drive with the other one and it still wouldnt load.>>

Nor should it be expected to boot, if it came with XP installed from a different system.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Louis

#6 atazk

atazk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

"Locate the jumper & set it to Slave or Cable Select"

What do you mean by slave or cable select?

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:48 PM

Unless it is a SATA hard drive on the back end by the cable connectors there will be a set of pins with a jumper.
On the drive label or marked by the jumper pins it will show what pins the jumper needs to be on for what.
It will be Master, Slave, or Cabnle Select,
[M,S, or CS]
You need to move the jumper so it sets the drive for Slave or Cable Select.

If it is a SATA drive there will be no jumper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users