Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista SP1 & SP2 Reverse Integration?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:08 PM

Hi,

Has anyone done a "Slipstream" or "Reverse Integration" for Vista SP1 & SP2?

I've found this page HERE where Alan Norton is offering a beta to slipstream Vista SP2 into a bootable ISO image. I'd love to be able to do this but I'm not sure I know how. The first 5 steps are from HERE and I need some help understanding what they all mean.

I think I get the first 5 steps. It's the 6th step that I'm not sure what they mean.

The 6th step says:

6. Once the image has been built, replace the old install.wim in the Vista RTM ISO in \Sources\ with the newly created install.wim using a registered version of UltraISO (Version 8.0 or higher). Save the ISO and you're done.

You can also rebuild the ISO using vLite by extracting the contents of the Vista RTM ISO to a temporary directory, replacing the install.wim and using vLite's Vista Burning/ISO creation features. One can also use vLite to remove unwanted features in Vista SP1 even though vLite was primarily designed/tested on Vista RTM.

OK, do they just mean run the vLite using the newly created Vista SP1&2 (I'd integrate SP2 also of course) as the SP to be integrated to the original Vista RTM?

If so, then i get it and it shouldn't be to hard. Otherwise, I need some explanation as to what it's talking about doing to make a final ISO image from step 5 to step 6.

Also, I don't get the need for Alan Norton's program once completing the 6 steps when I have vLite to integrate and make the ISO?

Anyone? Thanks.

PS OH, I also found this HERE which seems to be interesting. Any comments on that would also be appreciated.

Edited by Johnz414, 07 June 2009 - 04:03 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:24 PM

Hay,

Is the WAIK only for SP1?

After reading some more on this subject I have a question on the "Reverse Integration" as expressed HERE with the 6 step procedure for "Reverse Integrating" SP1 into Vista.

Instead of just finishing with SP1 can you go right a head and install SP2 before "Reverse Integrating" the new image? Would that work? Or is the WAIK only for SP1.

That doesn't sound like it would be to hard and possibly less time consuming?

Anyone?

John
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users