Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Touchpad Scrollbars Not Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ShootingStar

ShootingStar

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:39 PM

I wasn't sure whether to put this here, or in the Vista subforum. I put it here because I think it also happened on our previous Dell Inspiron with XP Home.

Our Dell Inspiron 1501 computer has a built in touchpad with two separate right and left click buttons below it(physical buttons) and a horizontal scroll graphic on the bottom of the actual touch part, as well as a vertical graphic on the side for the vertical scroll. The scrolls worked great when we first got it, but now they don't work at all. I don't remember the exact time when they stopped working. The touchpad still works to move the mouse and to click(double tap on the pad). The physical buttons still work as well. Our plug in USB wireless mouse works 100%. I think the problem might be related to the fact that I can't seem to find the original icon for the "Synaptics" touchpad settings in the icon tray at the bottom right. I'm running Vista Home, I believe.
I did a search in my computer for "synaptics", hoping to find something related to it, and I found nothing. I also looked in my Device Manager, and under Mice, it just had a "PS/2 compatible mouse" listed. Under "properties", or something like that, it said it was plugged into the PS/2 port, and I don't even have an external PS/2 port.
So I think that somehow the original driver software got deleted, and now the computer recognizes the touchpad as a plugged in touchpad/mouse.
Any ideas?

Edited by ShootingStar, 07 June 2009 - 12:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:48 PM

Go to Device Manager...uninstall drivers for Mice and Other Pointing Devices...reboot.

Drivers will reinstall, they may currently be damaged.

Louis

#3 ShootingStar

ShootingStar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:12 PM

Didn't work.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:35 AM

Synaptics driver for 1501 w/Vista

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=188272

Installation instructions at the bottom of the page, click on the +
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:23 AM

As already mentioned, try looking at the Device Manager. The Drivers could be corrupt. Do you have the CD that came with your system? If not you can go to the Dell Drivers and Downloads website http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...;l=en&s=gen.

#6 ShootingStar

ShootingStar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:16 PM

Synaptics driver for 1501 w/Vista

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=188272

Installation instructions at the bottom of the page, click on the +

Thanks! That fixed it!