Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading to a 64-bit system.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:03 AM

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, so if it's not I'll apologize ahead of time.

I'm planning on buying Windows 7 when it comes out. I want to --if it's possible-- switch to the 64-bit version, from Vista 32-bit. Is this possible? How do I know if the computer is compatible? Does every piece in the computer need to be compatible or is it just the chip? Any advice is appreciated.

Dell XPS 410
Q6600 quad core
8800 GTX
4 gigs DDR2 RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

You’re going to want to use the Windows 7 upgrade advisor to help you out here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7...de-advisor.aspx

Also, you’re going to want to make sure you have a processor capable of 64-bit computing.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#3 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:18 PM

The upgrade advisor says I'm good to go, with the exception of Mcafee, which I hate and expires soon anyway. And my processor is 64-bit compatible. So that's it? I just have to do a clean install of win7 64-bit and everything should work?

#4 justjules

justjules

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:58 AM

Hi, Doug yeah you should be ok, but you could always try and install the RC which is out now (carefull its a large download: 3Gb) you can get it in either versions 32 or 64 Bit. I have installed it on a separate HD and am dual booting it with XP. You can then see if 64 Bit is for you.
Good luck
JJ

#5 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:52 PM

Yeah, sounds like you're good to go. Here's a link to Windows 7 approved security suites in case you want to replace your other one:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/antivirus.../windows-7.aspx

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

#6 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:52 PM

OK, awesome! Thanks!

You forgot the link, but I found it. =] I think I'm just going to wait until the actual release before trying this. That way I can get a second internal HD first, as well. My main software concern is that the Adobe suite runs well. I've looked around the web and some people say they run them in 32-bit due to lack of plug-ins. Plug-ins don't concern me so I'm hoping there's no issues beyond that. You don't happen to have any experience with this, do you?

#7 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:13 AM

Hmmm.. the link shows up on my screen. As long as you got it, though, that's what matters.

The Adobe suite is running for people, so you're OK there. I'm running it on a 32-bit OS, I don't have the 64-bit version on my PC, but do have colleagues who are having success running in 32-bit mode.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

#8 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:07 PM

OK, thanks so much. At least now I'll be able to use all 4 gigs of RAM in my computer.

#9 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:41 PM

True that! Good luck.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team