Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying Pictures and Doc's to CD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Karlie

Karlie

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:56 AM

I cannot seem to find an answer to my current computer problem. I am a novice and ask your help.

I have not copied Pictures or Doc's to a CD for a long time. I decided to do so and I got as far in the process that the pictures were in a Temp file. Tried to copty to CD. Keep getting message to "insert CD. I have done so and cannot get any farther with the process. Have Memorex CD-R,

Sometimes the tray sticks but I open it with the old paperclip advice.

I have searched for the answer to my problem and cannot find it. Help would be appreciated.

Windows IE6 SP2.
HP Pavillion 526X
514 MB Ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:52 AM

Well...an optical drive that exhibits problems...may be a showstopper.

Have you tried using software such as Nero to copy files to CD? Are you attempting to use the XP copy function?

Have you checked Event Viewer for indications of optical drive problems?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 Karlie

Karlie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for your guidance, I followed as best I could. There are so many errors in both the Application and System that I am mortified. None in Security. I put App and System in folders in my docs. I then realized how to copy them to the clipboard-trouble is, I cannot find the clipboard to post here. The process was not clear to me. Most of the App errors are recent, and about 100 App errors are from AVG back in the spring.

How do I get these two long reports posted, once I open the folder, the copy/paste option is not available. Just copy. How do I get it here?

Taking a wild shot at this, looks like maybe I sent them as attachments.

This old Granny says thanks and asks for patience.

Attached Files

Edited by Karlie, 07 June 2009 - 10:53 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

Well...I'm not the best at analysing...but I don't see anything in EV that I would be concerned about.

So I will let go of the optical drive as being suspect :thumbsup:.

I don't see anything in either screen that would explain difficulty in trying to burn disks.

Tell us the exact steps you go through and maybe someone can see something that can be improved.

Louis

#5 Karlie

Karlie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:23 PM

This is very frustrating. I have gone through all steps and get to the point that I click on "copy to CD" First I get the following box:

The file "Thumbs" has extra information attached to it that might be lost if you continue copying. The contents of the file will not be affected.
Do you want to continue?
(Options) yes, stop, cancel

I tried the Yes, then the Stop finally cancel.

Not knowing what I am doing is getting very frustrating. I'm about ready to give up on this.
I wonder if the machine will allow me to e-mail this whole Folder to someone to try.

Thumbs
Type: Data Base File
Date modified 7/3/2008
Size 15.5 KB

I get the "insert disk" message no matter what I do. When I push the tray in, there is no sound of anything happening. Half the time I can't get it out without the paperclip. I never had this problem before but rarely use this copy feature.

Thanks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:17 PM

That's not quite what I would call "exact steps" and you never answered my query re using software or the Windows XP burn function.

If you want someone to try to help...then it's probably wise to supply information requested or queried...so that there won't be any erroneous conclusions about what you have done and what you have not done...or whether the procedures you employed were correct.

Example of what I mean...<<I have gone through all steps...>>

What steps would that be? Using burn software? What software? Where do we (the forum) find these steps listed?

Louis

#7 mlb1966

mlb1966

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:41 PM

Hi,

I am also having the same problem. I basically highlighted the item I wanted to copy to CD, right clicked and on the dropdown, selected copy to CD. That's when I get the message to insert a CD. I am using Maxell CD-R. Where would I find the Nero program you mentioned and is there a cost for it?

Thanks for your help.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:51 PM

Nero Burning ROM generally is part of the purchase package when one buys a burner or other optical drive.

It is available for sale also, but I don't recommend anyone buying it...there are various free programs available with can be used to burn CDs/DVDs.

I'm not familiar with any of them, because I have used Nero for the last 8 years or so...but hang on for inputs from other members.

As with any program....please read all directions for using, before attempting a burn.

Louis

#9 Karlie

Karlie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:35 AM

Sorry for the incomplete answer to your reply yesterday.

I use the 'Copy to CD' function of Windows XP(sp2)

I cannot get by the "thumbs" box and do not know what that is about (see upthread).

Another message pops up telling me to put the CD into the machine. It is already there. Something is not getting the message. I must be leaving out something important because I copied before with no problem. Since a computer is foreign territory for me, it is very easy for me to mess things up.

No sound comes from the tower at all, I believe it used to make a whirring sound.
Can you think of a step that I have omitted?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:19 AM

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php

I have never used the XP copy function...but the above link is a good guide for doing so. Take a look at it and see if there is anything in the link that may be of some help.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users