Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

4870X2 and CoD(CoD-CoD:WAW)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 21stCenturyBreakdown

21stCenturyBreakdown

• Banned
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:11 AM

So, there is an option in all the CoD games that tells it whether or not to use dual video cards ("Dual Video Cards: No(FOR NOW)). But with a 4870x2 it's on one card, but still 2 GPUs, when I get my 4870 should I set it to use 2 or not?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:43 AM

If you have two dual-gpu graphics cards, your motherboard needs to support quad-crossfire or quad-sli. However, your motherboard doesn't need to support two-way crossfire or sli if you have only one dual-gpu card.

Since this statement is true, your card is only detected as a single graphics card, and I don't think you should do the dual-graphics card option.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 21stCenturyBreakdown

21stCenturyBreakdown
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:12 PM

If you have two dual-gpu graphics cards, your motherboard needs to support quad-crossfire or quad-sli. However, your motherboard doesn't need to support two-way crossfire or sli if you have only one dual-gpu card.

Since this statement is true, your card is only detected as a single graphics card, and I don't think you should do the dual-graphics card option.

Thank you kind sir.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:06 PM

I have a 3870 x2 on my system, and wondered the same thing as you did when I first started so I tried it both ways, and noticed no real difference either way. I had the same graphics at the same framerate. since its a 2 GPU card, the computer is recognizing it as a single video card, (it is still using both GPUs its just through the same PCI_E 16 slot) so yeah, no difference either way. I keep mine on yes but thats just cuz. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users