Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I have too many programs running

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pearce

pearce

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:05 AM

After having amassive virus infection and reformating, I decided to make my security defense as good as possible

My pc is a amd athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 3600+ 1.89ghz.
first question is, where it says 64 above, does that mean my pc is 64 bit? Currently it is only 32, can I upgrade to 64? Should I?

Xp sp3.

These are my current programs running.
Avira anti virus with guard
Malware bytes pro with realtime protection
Super anti spyware pro with realtime protection
Spyware doctor free with realtime protection
Windows defender
Threatfire
Geswall
Spyware blaster

Do I have too many programs? If so which ones do I remove?

Thankyou.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:52 AM

These are my current programs running.
Avira anti virus with guard
Malware bytes pro with realtime protection
Super anti spyware pro with realtime protection
Spyware doctor free with realtime protection
Windows defender
Threatfire
Geswall
Spyware blaster

Do I have too many programs? If so which ones do I remove?

Thankyou.

Yes, you have way too much. To prevent future infections you should think about using safe surfing practices and common sense, this is much more effective than simply piling on programs.

Are you using AntiVir free or paid?

You currently have 4 antispyware scanners; I suggest you remove Spyware Doctor and Windows Defender, and make either Malwarebytes Antimalware or Superantispyware as an on-demand scanner.

Although GesWall is a very effective program, it is really not necessary if you switch to alternate applications and keep them updated with Secunia Personal Software Inspector. That is, if you use Mozilla Firefox as your web browser and Foxit Reader instead of Adobe Reader, you will be well protected against vulnerabilities anyway.

You should make sure that Windows Firewall and Automatic Updates is enabled. You should also disable AutoRun with Panda USB and AutoRun Vaccine.

Edited by Someones, 07 June 2009 - 05:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users