Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

msconfig tweaked causing certain problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ghead

ghead

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:01 PM

Well after spending days on blackviper and tweak.com etc.... I came to a pretty good understanding on windows services that run on my computer.
There are a lot of windows services that I will never use or don't need so some of them I stopped in msconfig.
I was aware that stopping some of the services might slightly change things that I am unaware of (until I come across it).
And there are a couple things that are going on now, which I'm not sure which service I stopped is causing it.

The first is under task manager, (see pics below) Under the network tab it created a second local area connection (local area connection 2).
The other is under the users tab, my default profile doesn't show up any more.
The third is any social website that I am a member of and has a videochat place it will not load, I am able to go to the sites and sign in and see my home page but when I click videochat it just sits there loading forever until it says done and nothing comes up except a blank white page. This is the same on three other social videochat sites I go on. There were all working and loading just fine before I made the windows service tweaks.

That's all I have come across so far but I'm sure I'll discover other things along the way. I could always just set all the services back to default but I'd like to find out what causes what and why instead.

Is there anyway to paste, copy, or save the entire list of services for msconfig? I've noticed there's no way to expand or maximize the window it is displayed in. I would like to post it so you guys could help me troubleshoot better.

I just noticed my cpu usage is split into two graphs now, where before it was always one, under the performance tab ugh.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:34 PM

As you have learned not all can be disabled in MSconfig.

Try this,

Turn the unit off
Restart it & start tapping F8
You should get a screen offering startup options
[Might take a few tries]
Try Last known good configuration & see if that puts it back like it was before you made the changes.

If that doesn't work do a System Restore to a date before you made the changes.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:50 AM

I don't want to do that because that will rollback some of my security setting, Like disabling BHO disabling autorun and autoplay and a lot of other little things that I know I did correctly and I really really don't want to have to do all those settings all over again.

It's only the Windows services that I disabled that would be the cause of these things since they showed up immediately after I made those service changes in msconfig last night. I can just set msconfig back to default and everything will probably go back to normal but that wont tell me which services caused this and which didn't and that's what I want to find out.

Thanks

PS: Still curious about this-("Is there anyway to paste, copy, or save the entire list of services for msconfig? I've noticed there's no way to expand or maximize the window it is displayed in. I would like to post it so you guys could help me troubleshoot better").

Edited by ghead, 07 June 2009 - 12:52 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:26 AM

Msconfig...is not the control point for services.

Msconfig is designed to be a troubleshooting tool, not a system administrative control module.

I suggest setting whatever you changed in msconfig...back to default.

If you want to exercise control over services, do it properly by running the services console and reviewing each service. It might be a good idea to document what changes you make.

Start/Run...type services.msc and hit Enter...to review services and respective status.

Louis

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:32 AM

In your tinkering, did the Terminal Services become disabled either in MSCONFIG or in the Services applet itself?

Start, Run, services.msc

If TS is not running (as a service), the Users tab will be empty. That is the most likely reason for an empty tab.

Do you have a dual core CPU to account for the two windows in your Performance tab? If you do, then what you see is good. If you do not, then you need to provide some hardware details.

Task Manager should show "active" networking connections. How many active network connections do you see in Control Panel, Network Connections?

Edited by joseibarra, 07 June 2009 - 10:35 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:58 PM

Hello ghead,

PS: Still curious about this-("Is there anyway to paste, copy, or save the entire list of services for msconfig? I've noticed there's no way to expand or maximize the window it is displayed in. I would like to post it so you guys could help me troubleshoot better").

Snagit from TechSmith allows you to capture such screens:

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/9476/mscsrv02.png

http://www.techsmith.com/

Also see the following thread. For some reason, a few of the links in my post there don't seem to be valid anymore, so I posted the screenshot above:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=710763

#7 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:58 AM

Well I set everything back to default and so far it seems like the defualt settings are staying the same. Couple things I don't like however is that I can't ever get Remote Access Auto Connection Manager to stay disabled. There's no reason what so ever that this needs to be running constantly since I don't do any remote access stuff.

Thanks for the help guys and for the screencapture software :thumbsup:

Edited by ghead, 14 June 2009 - 02:00 AM.

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:18 AM

If you do not have the box checked for it in System Properties on the Remote tab, I would go to run, then type services.msc and disable all things related to remote assistance.

#9 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:14 AM

Did you get your User tab in Task Manager working?

Did you come up with an explanation for your two CPU usages windows?

Did you figure out your issue in your Networking tab in Task Manager?

For your Services, do you mean Remote Access Auto Connection Manager (mine is not running) or Remote Access Connection Manager (mine is running).

Some of those things won't stop unless you stop other services and if you stop the other services just to disable one, other things you might not have even thought of will not work (like your User tab and Terminal Services). One can think that if you are not using Terminal Services, disable the service, but then your Task Manager changes appearance.

Are you able to stop the service of interest and do you get an error message? There are sometimes dependencies that account for reasons services cannot be stopped or disabled in the Services applet. Are you sure if you stop these services nothing bad will happen?

It is obviously not a good idea to just start stopping things at random that you think you don't need. Other seemingly unrelated things may start to misbehave. Then the things you think you have no use for (or at least some of them) have to be restarted again to get things back to normal.

Edited by joseibarra, 14 June 2009 - 06:35 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users