Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo Email Page a bit odd.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 penko Z

penko Z

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:55 PM

I wonder if this is somehow related to browser hijacking/redirecting:

When I check my Yahoo email, and go to the page that says, like, "Welcome, Joe" & "You have __ new messages" (and underneath that there's always a window that shows recent news headlines -- "Top Stories" "World" "Entertainment" "Sports"...

Over the course of several weeks, I slowly started noticing it was the same news headlines every day. I thought it was odd that the same place was still having an ice storm when it's not winter anymore. It does it randomly, too--sometimes it's current news, but very often it keeps showing this old, outdated news page (which is where your email page is). I always see the same "Obama takes a bend-but-not-break stance..." After a while I started thinking it was odd that it said the exact same thing for weeks and weeks.

Still does it after having cleared my cookies, too. Is this just something harmless, or is it evidence of some kind of malware?

(I've run Malware Bytes and Super Anti Spyware a few times, and they don't find anything).

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 penko Z

penko Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:56 PM

By the way, I wanted to clarify that when it shows the old (outdated) news -- it's always the exact same one. It does not show different old pages -- it's the exact same one every time. So it's always this picture of Obama next to a headline about an ice storm.....that happened quite a while back.

Edited by penko Z, 06 June 2009 - 11:06 PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:42 PM

Not sure that this is an infection either. Have you tried Un installing and reinstalling Yahoo mail.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 penko Z

penko Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:33 AM

I'm not the most computer-savvy person. I didn't realize you could install/uninstall your Yahoo email account? I just thought you went to the website and typed in your password, to check your mail.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:21 PM

Hi,my bad I had thought their mail also needed a small install.
Have you cleared the browsers cache and cookies.
How do I clear my web browser's cache?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 penko Z

penko Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:42 AM

Thank you for the suggestions, I will try that and see what happens. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users