Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR Bsod

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sidorak95

sidorak95

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:01 PM

So, I was browsing the web earlier, running MBAM and updating SAS, and starting Housecall on Chrome earlier. Then out of the blue, a BSOD message appers. It tells me : KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR. I looked here, and it says: A page of kernel data was not found in the pagefile and could not be read into memory. This might be due to incompatible disk or controller drivers, firmware, or hardware. I haven't done anything to my drivers, firmware, or hardware recently. My computer seems to be running normally now. Does anyone know what happened, and if I need to do anything to my computer? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:07 AM

You can try to follow the steps outlined at Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Louis

FWIW: You don't have to do anything to your system or a file...for a file (e.g., driver) to become damaged and malperform. Any number of things may cause file damage/corruption.

#3 sidorak95

sidorak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:38 AM

Thanks for your reply. When I try to open the dump file, Windows gives me the following error:

Posted Image

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

My interpretation of that message...there's no data in a file which is sized as zero.

You might check to see that you don't try to load any files which reflect nothing. A zero-sized file cannot reflect anything.

Louis

#5 sidorak95

sidorak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:42 PM

The MEMORY.dmp in my Windows folder is 0 bytes, the one I tried to load. I can't find a minidump.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

You mean...you did a search for *.dmp files and only can find one on your system?

http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/dmp

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 June 2009 - 01:52 PM.

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:09 PM

Just lurking, but the error message says that the file in c:\windows\memory.dmp...

The dump file should be in c:\windows\minidump\minimmddyy-xx.dmp

The dump file should not be in your Windows folder (by default).

You can verify these and other settings in My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, Settings.

Having had trouble like this before (on somebody else's computer of course), I found how to force a BSOD to test the settings from this link: http://psacake.com/web/jr.asp.

Get everything set up the way you want, test it to make sure it all works, and then wait...

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 sidorak95

sidorak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:28 PM

You mean...you did a search for *.dmp files and only can find one on your system?

http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/dmp

Louis

The only ones are: A bunch of crash files for Chrome, 1 for Maxthon, 2 for Norton, and the MEMORY.dmp in my Windows folder.

Just lurking, but the error message says that the file in c:\windows\memory.dmp...

The dump file should be in c:\windows\minidump\minimmddyy-xx.dmp

The dump file should not be in your Windows folder (by default).

You can verify these and other settings in My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, Settings.

Having had trouble like this before (on somebody else's computer of course), I found how to force a BSOD to test the settings from this link: http://psacake.com/web/jr.asp.

Get everything set up the way you want, test it to make sure it all works, and then wait...

This is a screenshot:

Posted Image

#9 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:59 PM

Well, that just needs fixing.

Under System failure, check the first two boxes (only).

Since Automatically restart is not checked, when you have BSOD the system will not automatically restart giving you time to write anything down. You will have to reset the system to start XP again.

Change the Write debugging information to: Small memory dump (assuming you want a small memory dump)

Set the Dump file to: %SystemRoot%\Minidump

The %SystemRoot%\Minidump (c:\windows\minidump) folder should already exist. If it doesn't, create an empty minidump folder.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#10 sidorak95

sidorak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:27 PM

OK, I did that. Should I force I BSOD, or what?

EDIT: Never mind, could a mod close this? I got another BSOD.

Edited by sidorak95, 08 June 2009 - 06:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users