Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I was told I needed to do a system restore from my Cd's I'm searching for another answer.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lizamm

Lizamm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:24 PM

I have set up logs to report on various problems with my PC. I have error messages with Windows installer (it pops up with the loading of my desktop and runs in the background but does nothing), drwtsn32.exe, MVcpl.dll, OSA9.exe, Intel DH error messages rule the page in event viewer, Microsoft .NET Framework telling me, "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" and "An unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application" When the Windows installer and Microsoft .NET Framework errors are in the task bar their heading is 2 HP Photosmart Premier. Microsoft Word 2002 is telling me "This document could not be registered. It will not be possible to create links from other docs. to this doc. C:\...\hdv_src\startups_all.htm) but I can still use word and all its functions.
Most recent problem is Add/Remove is not opening and System Recovery reads it is missing? I really believe this all started when I downloaded and ran “HD Valet” to remove junk files on May 8th 2009. I think it deleted something this machine needed. I have logged many hours with HP tech phone support and they looked at my PC using remote access, they finally told me to do a system restore from my restore CD's. I really hope that is not my only option. Is it?
Always in awe of the help and answers I have seen posted here,
Lizamm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:40 PM

Windows can only sustain a certain amout of damage .
It sounds like your installation is beyond the point of recovery.
You could turn off System restore & try doing a XP repair but you would be further ahead to delete the C partition & start with a fresh, clean, install.

Doing a repair won't gaurantee you won't have problems afterward.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Lizamm

Lizamm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:05 PM

Did I post this in the wrong forum? This is the first time I posted. I am sorry to hear that you think I should do a system restore. I have read everything I can on Do you have a virus and I do not fit any of the examples. I am not skilled enough to repair the mistakes on my own. I really feel that if I could get some one to look at my logs, like posting a hijackthis log maybe there might be a differnt solution for my PC than system restore. As I said this is my first time here and I am just now reading Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log. I hope it will tell me how to do that. Thank you so much for your quick reply. I am just not ready to wipe out my C partition drive yet.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:31 PM

". I have logged many hours with HP tech phone support and they looked at my PC using remote access, they finally told me to do a system restore from my restore CD's. "

Like I said, sometimes a reinstall is the only way to get everything fixed.

It's obvious that isn't what you want ti hear but sometimes it's simply the only fix.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users