Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing Customized Program on a wireless network.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Normalnorbert

Normalnorbert

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:19 PM

Well hi everyone.
To start I'm a noob and I might ask dumb questions; so please bear with me.

Anywho my silly mother has this customized dry cleaning program that was made specifically for her needs. Before she moved buildings she had two (2) desktop computer connected directly together (no hubs/switches/ or routers). Well now that she moved her business into another building she has one (1) desktop computer and she wanted to add on a laptop to the back area of her store as a space saver. She also thought to save money by not buying a long Ethernet cable to string clear across her store; so she bought a wireless router. Well I got the network up and running, but I have no idea how to set up the program on the laptop let alone trying to configure the two to be in sync. But as luck may have it the person who linked the two desktops, I mentioned earlier, left a notepad on how to set up the program and have the satellite desktop connect to the remote desktop.

Problem here is: I don't understand what he wrote down.
So I will leave what he wrote down. Oh I believe I have everything needed. (ie; registry codes, copy of the program, ect.)

How to setup:
1) Setup SQL Server 2000
2) Using Enterprise Manager Add the Clean Database
If enterprise manager is not available - using the SQL Tool -Attach the database. Leave the Datasource line blank.
3) Make sure the SA password is blank
4) Load in registry settings (CleanSpot)
5) Under the Cleanspot registry setting the DataSource name should be set to the name of the sql server

Connecting to another computer:
a) create folder c:\tpl
1) import into registry cleanspot.reg. See c:\tpl\tpl
2) make sure computer has a copy of Clean21.exe. install in c:\tpl
3) Setup tcp connection:
address: 192.168.0.2
subnet: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.0.1

4) ping 192.168.0.1 (front-desk) to make sure
connection works.

5) setup printer: \\front-desk\<printer name>

So if anyone could help me with anything on the subject it would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:16 PM

Hello,

How far have you got through those steps?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Normalnorbert

Normalnorbert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:15 PM

Well the first steps have already been done on the main desktop. So everything is working on the desktop. If that answers anything.
I have gotten to about step 2 with the laptop on the second set of steps. I'm not completely sure how to set up the connection because it was a direct connection but now where as its through a network router I have no idea where to began.

I hope that answers your question.

Edited by Normalnorbert, 07 June 2009 - 07:17 PM.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:15 PM

So you now have to do

"Connecting to another computer:
a) create folder c:\tpl
1) import into registry cleanspot.reg. See c:\tpl\tpl
2) make sure computer has a copy of Clean21.exe. install in c:\tpl
3) Setup tcp connection:
gateway: 192.168.0.1"?

Do you have the cleanspot registry file and clean21.exe?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Normalnorbert

Normalnorbert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

Yeah I do have a copy of the program and the registry codes.
And yes I need to do those steps, but where as its not a direct connect
and through a router would the connection still work, like can i still connect?
Also if I does work can you still be able to connect to the internet and what not?
Sorry for the questions, but as i stated I'm a complete noob.

#6 L0jyq

L0jyq

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:53 PM

I would assume that by "directly connected" you were referring to a cross-over cable that connected one computer's network card to the other computers network card?

If that's true, then the IP scheme would work just as it does wirelessly, with one addition: The router "routes" traffic from computer A to computer B, using the IP address as a reference of where to send it.

gateway: 192.168.0.1

With the IP's listed here (address = IP Address), I see that one of your computers is going to be 192.168.0.2, and the other will be 192.168.0.3, with 192.168.0.1 being the router.

The traffic from the program will be routed to whatever address you tell it the SQL server is on. So let's say that since the desktop is the original computer, it would be 192.168.0.2, so if you tell the program to look for the database at that address (192.168.0.2),

If you're concerned about whether or not they are connected to each other, you can open a command prompt (Looks like DOS. Start>Run>CMD) and ping one from the other. To Ping, type "ping 92.168.0.X", where X = the address of the other computer.

As far as internet is concerned, this shouldn't have any effect on it.

The router will take all traffic from computer A that is intended for computer B, and send it "internally" within the office network. Whereas anything that is not aimed at computer B will be sent to the outside world, e.g. the internet.

Hope that helps a bit to understand what's actually going on...
:thumbsup:

#7 Normalnorbert

Normalnorbert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:31 PM

Haha, yes that is what I mean as direct connect.
Thank you for clearing things up for me.

I've tried everything everyone has said and its still not working.

I keep getting an error saying "[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen(Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied."

So I'm guess I don't have the SQL configured correctly or not even installed.
I honestly don't know.

But thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup:

#8 L0jyq

L0jyq

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:53 PM

While setting up the laptop, when it gets to the part where you end up "pointing" to the database, can you see it on the list?

If so, it's set up correctly, aside from the possibility of the password being set wrong...

Please verify that your password is correct, as this is the simplest fix, if it's the problem, and it has the least repercussion if it's not the problem. The password should have been set to "blank", per the instructions you provided. Maybe on the new machine you have a password set, and you don't need one, or it could even be the other way around.

What was the last step that you know you for sure completed successfully?

#9 Normalnorbert

Normalnorbert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

Ha once again this is a guessing game.
But I did use my noodle and actually got the
right stuff pointed out. But I have no idea which data source to attach it to. If its the program itself or the database.

#10 L0jyq

L0jyq

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:35 PM

Well the program on the Desktop is looking at another section of the desktop for the database, I would think....since it functions as a standalone.

Actually, you should be able to go into the config of the program on the desktop and look for it's data sources, then just duplicate that on the laptop.

The only difference is that you'll have to tell it to look FROM 192.168.0.3 TO 192.168.0.2, and THEN match all the settings, whereas you probably won't see the IP address listed from the desktop (here I used 0.2 as a reference to the desktop, and 0.3 refers to the laptop.). You would probably just see the local path.

At any rate...if you can SEE a list of SQL servers from the laptop, you should easily be able to locate the one that is already listed within the config of the desktop

#11 Normalnorbert

Normalnorbert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:55 PM

Well I got I got it working. Ha it took some thinking and figuring, but its working and she is very please.
Thanks everyone for the help.
You are the best. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users