Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dieing OS hard drive and installed programs? Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gopsr

gopsr

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:11 PM

My main Windows XP hard drive and system is riddled with errors and problems and needs to be reformatted. However, I've collected a great collection of installed programs that for one reason or another can't be reinstalled on a new system. Such as one time use programs, Give Away of the Day programs and programs I no longer have discs for.

My current computer has 3 hard drives. The first one has the operating system and installed programs and is slowly dieing. I have 2 back up hard drives, one internal and one external. How can I move the installed programs to some where safe (such as the other hard drives or a laptop), reformat the main hard drive, reinstall windows and then move the programs back without having to reinstall them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

You cannot.

The best you could do...is clone the partition. But...if it has errors and basically amounts to a partition full of junk...cloning won't be the answer for you. Cloning a partition is a good strategy only when the partition is healthy, the O/S is free of malware, and there are no problems with the hardware, the software, or the O/S.

You could try a backup of the current O/S but I've already pointed out that any transfer/duplication of garbage...will probably yield an unsatisfactory result.

Louis

#3 gopsr

gopsr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:04 PM

I saw something called PCMove from Laplink. Does that mean it won't work or is it just another piece of useless software? Probably full of it's own ads, etc...?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:02 PM

I guess that you'll have to read what it's supposed to be able to do...I'm not familiar with it.

There is no software that can turn something bad...into something good...which is what (it sounds to me) you seem to be looking for.

It's your system, you can try anything you like.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users