Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie Ubuntu Forum questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:53 PM

My hobby is recording LPs and cassettes to digital (WAV) files and then using software to "clean up" the music files and burn them to CDs. Until recently my turntable was hooked up to a Lite-On 5005 DVD recorder, which also allowed direct recording to CD-RWs. Then I would take the CD-RW to my computer, read the files, and clean them up. Unfortunately, my Lite-On has gotten old and has started recording its own noise to the files -- obviously, a very bad thing!

My restoration computer runs Windows XP, and that probably won't change, but the turntable is located in a different room. For many reasons (including my intense dislike for Windows, the fact that I'm a command-line UNIX junkie from way back, and cost) I've decided not to get a dedicated CD Recorder -- I'm looking into getting an inexpensive computer and running a Linux distro -- it looks like Ubuntu Studio will be more than adequate. Basically, I just need the new machine to do a good job of recording the music from the turntable/pre-amp.

My questions:

First, does anyone have any words of warning or advice about the specific distro? Is there some reason this might not be a good idea? I would have to add a good sound card -- will this be a problem for Linux?

Second, what are the minimum hardware requirements I should be looking for? I have been considering a small refurbished computer (IBM) from TigerDirect. My main computer is an IBM ThinkCentre and I've been impressed with the hardware and how easy it was to do a major upgrade a couple years ago. I can get a reasonable-looking refurbished IBM desktop cheap -- especially if I opt for one with no OS.

Third, comments from other customers about "no OS" computers from TigerDirect have said their computers arrived "with all boot devices disabled in BIOS." How hard would it be to install Linux on a machine like this?

My UNIX experience is current up through System V Rev 3, so I've forgotten enough to be truly dangerous. Any help or advice would be welcome!

Edited by Capn Easy, 06 June 2009 - 06:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 debtboy

debtboy

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

Hey Capn Easy,
I see your from the Garden State, me also.
I'm down here in South Jersey about 1/2 hour
away from Philly.

Most of your questions can be answered by checking
out a hardware compatibility list for the distros
your interested in.

As for forgetting... :thumbsup:
The command line hasn't changed much,
man pages still answer most questions. :flowers:
The Owls are not what they seem...

#3 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:01 PM

First, does anyone have any words of warning or advice about the specific distro? Is there some reason this might not be a good idea? I would have to add a good sound card -- will this be a problem for Linux?

If you are going to go Linux, I would suggest Ubuntu 9.04. Nothing negative to say at all.
You can read up on it here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Also you can direct some of your question to the Ubuntu Forums here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/

Hope this helps.

Edited by AustinTerry, 08 June 2009 - 12:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users