Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems with the smitfraud removal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jlsam490

jlsam490

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:27 PM

Hi, I am new to these forums and have been told that you guys are very helpful :thumbsup:

That aside, I have an issue with the smitfraud removal. Your instructions make sense except for one problem that I have... it won't let me access my internet explorer so I cannot dl all of the programs that are needed to overcome the virus. I already have spybot, adaware, and mcafee viruscan and have used all of them. Unfortunately, adaware and viruscan say that they detect no viruses and spybot repeatedly detects "DSO exploit" which I delete everytime but nothing happens. Right now, I am writing this on my mac laptop :flowers: which is the only other comp that I have. The point of what im saying is that I cannot dl anything on my pc so therefore cant give my hijacklogs or anything of that nature. Please help a panicked, lost guy out! :trumpet:

SORRY about the double post :inlove:

Edited by jlsam490, 30 June 2005 - 04:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:21 PM

Can you download it with your good computer, then transfer it to disk, then upload it to the infected computer?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jlsam490

jlsam490
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:51 PM

actually my other computer is a macintosh do you know if I could get the programs from a mac, put it on a CD and then put that on the PC?

Edited by jlsam490, 30 June 2005 - 07:52 PM.

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:20 PM

Hi jlsam490,

I'm not sure if the formatting is the same, have never used a mac, but you could try it and see. HijackThis is small and you could just try it for now.

Download the self-extracting HijackThis from here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/hijackthis_sfx.php

Burn it to a CD, transfer the CD over to the infected PC and then copy that file from the CD to the Desktop. Double-click hijackthis_sfx.exe then click Unzip. Then navigate to C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe, open and click on Do a system scan and save a logfile. Just do that for now and let me know if you were successful.

A floppy or USB drive would be better than a CD, you could just run HJT from there.

Or is the mac you're on on different premises than the infected PC?

We may be able to use your PC. Are you running XP? On dialup, DSL, cable or just what? Do you have another browser installed like Firefox or Netscape?

Edit: Also, is it just that you can't download or can you not use Internet Explorer at all? Could you please post any error or other messages you get?

Edited by Papakid, 30 June 2005 - 10:36 PM.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users