Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Primary Disk Drive Failure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ldcoburn

ldcoburn

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:59 AM

For probably 10 months now I frequently get the message Primary Hard Disk Drive 1 Failure when I boot the computer. If I hit F1 it will usually go to the Windows logo, but sometime gets hung up there. Sometimes it will go to the screen that gives me the options to start with the "last known good configuration" and then it will start, but it may take a while. In general the machine is running very slow despite following all of the steps listed on the "slow computer" instructions. It seems like it is getting harder and harder to get it to start.

The machine is a Dell Dimension 4550, Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz, 512 MB. Is the machine just getting outdated? I says 96% og my memory is free.

Also, last week I had to recover the hal.dll and had used Spybot to remove vundo. Ran Spybot last night and it found nothing. The machine has Panda Antivirus.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:56 AM

I don't think Spybot removes Vundo, take a look at some of the following links.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=c...mp;oq=&aqi=

If you've been getting system messages re hard drive problems for 10 months...you really are a very lucky person. Still, I suggest running a hard drive diagnostic on whatever drive was pointed out.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

I would take care of the Vundo problem first.

Louis

#3 ldcoburn

ldcoburn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:50 PM

I ran mbam and it shows everything to be clean just like spybo.t s&d showed.

I ran one of the checks on the hard drive and the only thing it showed was that it needs the .net framework 3.5. I tried to download it from windows, but windows but can't get it to finish installing. The computer is set for auto updates for windows so not sure why it is not loaded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users