Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The scoop on AMD's new sockets.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rebel2345

Rebel2345

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:09 PM

I currently have a K8N Neo4 939 with an x2 3800+ in it. My 8800GTS just died the other night, and I'll be sticking something like a 9800GT in to replace it. I feel like I should just go for broke with a new mobo and everything. My power supply is an Enermax Liberty 500W.

With the new AM2, AM2+ and AM3, I'm not sure which to go for.

Right now, I'm thinking I'll go with these:

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX
AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6GHz 95W
Nvidia 9800GT

And the rest of my current system just includes a Combo DVD/CW-RW drive, 1x 80gb SATA HDD, 1x 200gb SATA HDD, 1x 1tb SATA HDD, and 3 case fans(Two 80 and one 120). I'm not running any PCI peripherals, and I'll probably be removing the 200 gb hard drive to put it in a second PC that I'll build out of my old parts.

So what should I go with? I figure I would just go for broke with AM3, but I havent been paying attention to the new stuff for a while, and I'm not sure if I should wait to go to AM3 and just settle for AM2+ stuff for the moment until they are sure that everythings right with them. And I'm also not sure than I can run the newer stuff on my 500W.

Edited by Rebel2345, 06 June 2009 - 10:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:10 AM

Well, the AM3 platform is slightly more expensive due to the DDR3 RAM but it is AMD's newest platform and will be around longer than the AM2+. The AM3 platform has been out for a while now and they seem to be stable. The AM3 sockets are essentially AM2+'s with modifications allowing for AM3 CPU's to use their CPU integrated memory controllers. I'm moving most of my system suggestions away from AM2+ over to AM3, there seems to be a slight performance increase in using AM3 processors in AM3 boards instead of AM2+ ones. I do suggest getting the Phenom II X3 720 instead of the 710 given the unlocked multiplier and faster stock speed. As for your power question, you may be pushing it with three HD's. Typically, a 9800GT runs fine on 400W, as per NVidia's suggested power requirement, but given the number of drives, I'm not sure 500W will be sufficient. I suggest a 600W PSU, if that is in your budget.

3939.png

#3 Rebel2345

Rebel2345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:32 AM

Well, the AM3 platform is slightly more expensive due to the DDR3 RAM but it is AMD's newest platform and will be around longer than the AM2+. The AM3 platform has been out for a while now and they seem to be stable. The AM3 sockets are essentially AM2+'s with modifications allowing for AM3 CPU's to use their CPU integrated memory controllers. I'm moving most of my system suggestions away from AM2+ over to AM3, there seems to be a slight performance increase in using AM3 processors in AM3 boards instead of AM2+ ones. I do suggest getting the Phenom II X3 720 instead of the 710 given the unlocked multiplier and faster stock speed. As for your power question, you may be pushing it with three HD's. Typically, a 9800GT runs fine on 400W, as per NVidia's suggested power requirement, but given the number of drives, I'm not sure 500W will be sufficient. I suggest a 600W PSU, if that is in your budget.

I should be able to shell out for that 720.

As for the power supply, its a -little- out of budget right now. Anyone know how accurate the Extreme PSU Calculator is? It has selections for all the stuff I'll have, and it tells me that it will run about 300w even with 3 HDD's.

Even so, I guess if it wont be enough power, I can wait a week after ordering the new AM3 stuff to go out and get another PSU. I know it would be a good thing to do to reduce the chance of underpowering it, but its hard to wait to get all this stuff together once its in front of you :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:18 PM

Well...if I had to wait on something, it would not be the power supply...more likely it would be a drive or maybe even RAM.

It seems to me that more persons have issues because ot PSUs than we tend to realize.

Louis

#5 Rebel2345

Rebel2345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:03 PM

Well...if I had to wait on something, it would not be the power supply...more likely it would be a drive or maybe even RAM.

It seems to me that more persons have issues because ot PSUs than we tend to realize.

Louis

I meant that I'd wait until I had the new PSU before I put it all together.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

Ahhhhh :thumbsup:, my error.

Louis

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:26 PM

yeah personally, I would go with a lower rated CPU or few hard drives and get a better power supply. the one thing I ALWAYs recomend to my customers is NEVER skimp on the power supply or the motherboard, you will regret it down the line if you do. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users