Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP safe mode fail - restart

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 safi

safi

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:57 PM

Hello,

For everytime I want to get into the Safe Mode the PC will restart or reboot and show back the F8 mode lists.

So I can't get my safe mode screen.

This XP Pro pc had been infected by virus.win32.sality.aa (kaspersky). Its bloked Kaspersky so I had install a new Av - Rising.

Rising found Win32.KUKU.GEN. Its cleans and deleted infected files but resulted to some prog can't run. One of it is the Safe Mode.

Tq :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:27 PM

Sounds like you are going to have to do a XP repair from a disk or a clean install.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:39 AM

I would NOT assume that the system is not infected.

I question the value of efforts by users...who get infected and then think they have managed to remove the infecteed files without proper assistance.

BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Louis

#4 safi

safi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

Hello guys,

So far the XP working well, except the Safe Mode or the F8 and the accounting app.

I had removed the Rising AV and able to install back my kaspersky.

I do scanning, -> all clean. nO MORE SALITY.

Reboot or shutdown. On -> but the F8 key not function, its boot straight to Windows Logon.

So in away for me to get back the Safe Mode , its mean I need to do XP repair installation.

I wounder and puzzel with my AV. The AV are set auto update and auto scan but yet the old sality virus still a treat.

puhh.

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:24 PM

The screen with the startup options is kind of hard to get sometimes , especially if you have a fast computer.

Turn it off
Turn it on
Start tapping the F8 key.
It may take a few tries but you should get the startup options screen
Use the arrow key[s] to hilite Safe Mode & press enter.

The accepted method of getting the startup options screen used to be that you wait until the unit finshes POST or the logo goes away to start tapping F*.
With the newer, faster, units that doesn't work.

When I turn this one on I don't see anything until it starts loading XP .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 PcProbs

PcProbs

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:19 PM

Have to tried another type of safe mode? (Safe mode with Networking, etc.) if one works then that means the other is just messed up. However if none work your probably going to have to do a xp repair

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:24 PM

nO MORE SALITY.

If this is what you truly have, I can say with absolute certainty that you are still infected. I don't care what your AV states
It is a nasty one and a good number of people just reformat and reinstall
The least I would do is to submit a HJT log as Louis suggested
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users