Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which of these security programs should I install?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:45 PM

Hello everyone,

I currently have Windows Firewall and Windows Defender protecting my computer. But the only reason I have them active is I had to do a Factory Condition Restore in April. I also had a problem with my McAfee Security Suite which was installed on my computer by the manufacturer. I ended up having to uninstall it and have tried to reinstall it, but have had not had any luck doing it as of yet.

The programs I am inquiring about are: Comodo anti-virus Free, a squared Free, Spybot S & D Free, Avast Anti-virus Free, and Super Anti Spyware Free. I have downloaded, but have not insalled Spybot S&D free onto my computer. I have Downloaded the others onto a flash drive to load onto my computer and then install, but want to find out which ones I should go with and which ones you suggest.

I also have downloaded McAfee installer onto the flash drive as well, to then install onto my computer, so I can reinstall my McAfee Security Suite. I have 1 year left, on the free 3 years of service, that came with the computer. I want to reinstall McAfee but they told me to get rid of any and all other programs that were on my computer, because they interfered with McAfee's programs. But when I looked at different websites, including this site, they all said that was B.S. and that what they were doing was close to being illegal, trying to force the competition out of business, by telling me that. The manufactures of the other programs have said: "that they do not interfere with McAfee's programs and they have been unsuccessfull in producing any events that would result in these programs interfering with McAfee's programs."

So what should I do? :thumbsup: :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:02 AM

I suggest you install McAfee Security Suite, keep Windows Defender running, and use Superantispyware free as an on-demand scanner. However, bear in mind McAfee is quite resource-heavy, so if you find you're computer is going very slowly even after cleaning and defragging your disk, you should uninstall it. You can replace McAfee and Windows Defender with Avast and ThreatFire (and continue using Superantispyware as an on-demand scanner).

Comodo AV is too new to be used, also it didn't do very well in this review.
A-squared free has great detection but also has a very high rate of false positives.
Spybot's detection rates is not good nowadays.

Edited by Someones, 06 June 2009 - 12:06 AM.

#3 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:48 AM

Hello everyone,

I will keep all of the programs on my flash drive and just try to reinstall the McAfee for now. Then install Super Anti Spyware free.

In the past, just last year, I had had good results with a squared free and Spybot S&D free. Yes they both picked up alot of cookies, and a few "false positives", But some of those "false positives" files can be used either way. either for the good programs or for the bad programs. So I can live with a few minor "false positives" which these were. I also always double checked them with the other programs I had installed and through internet searches of the names. Usually that would provide me with enough information to make a decision on wether or not to allow a "false positive" through. If I was still unsure I would either check on here or check with McAfee and their data base. Almost always that would be enough information to figure if it was a "false positive" or not and wether or not to allow it through.

As for the speed difference, if I did notice any slow down in speed, it was on how long the programs ran through their scans. I also did notice some problems with IE7. Do not know if that was due to the prorgams making adjustments or due to their using some of the proccessor power or if they actually interfered with IE7. I still have some problems with IE7, so I think it might be a Vista thing also.

I think when my McAfee sevice contract expires next year I will go with something else that is not so "resource heavy". I was looking at Norton but I heard that is also resource heavy as well. I have a free copy from my ISP and was thinking of installing it. But had heard and read some poor reviews on Norton. I got a year to decide and look for something else if I decide to go that route.

#4 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:35 AM

I suggest you upgrade to IE8.

I think when my McAfee sevice contract expires next year I will go with something else that is not so "resource heavy". I was looking at Norton but I heard that is also resource heavy as well. I have a free copy from my ISP and was thinking of installing it. But had heard and read some poor reviews on Norton. I got a year to decide and look for something else if I decide to go that route.

Norton is very light on resources and provides great security, IMHO it's one of the best security suites. It's also rated highly by PC Mag, PC World, Geekstogo and Remove-Malware. Norton also had high detection rates in AV-Comparatives and AV-Test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users