Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What type of Video Card Do I Need?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thaddy1978

thaddy1978

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:23 PM

My parents computer (Gateway GT5028) gets turned on and the only thing that shows up on the screen is, "No Signal." Dad said that he was using it and then all of the sudden the screen went wacky -distorted lines and then black-and then locked up. It seems to be an integrated video. I tried to take the 7 year old video card from my computer and put it in my parents 3 year old gateway and it does not fit at all. With what I just described, does it sound like a video issue? What type of video card will I need to get for his computer? The motherboard is a Foxconn C51GU01. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:36 PM

From what I can find you need a P{CI-E 16X video card.
I would look inside the unit & see if it has a Bestec power supply.
In my search on that model "bestec" was mentioned a couple of times.
If it has a Bestec power supply I would suspect that the power supply went bad & fried the motherboard since that is what Bestec power supplies are best known for.
After they go bad they can still appear to wotk .
The fans will come on but the unit won't boot.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 thaddy1978

thaddy1978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

From what I can find you need a P{CI-E 16X video card.
I would look inside the unit & see if it has a Bestec power supply.
In my search on that model "bestec" was mentioned a couple of times.
If it has a Bestec power supply I would suspect that the power supply went bad & fried the motherboard since that is what Bestec power supplies are best known for.
After they go bad they can still appear to wotk .
The fans will come on but the unit won't boot.

So how do I test to see if it is a power supply problem? The fans do some on and it does indeed sound as though everything is firing up.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:46 PM

Either remove the power supply & take it to a shop where it can be tested properly or try a video card.
If you try a video card & that doesn't help then it's probably the power supply.
The only thing is , even if you get a new power supply the old one may have killed the motherboard.

I know most people don't have the spare parts just laying around to test computers but the ideal situation would be if you had a haby video card to try, & a handy power supply to try [if neccessary] without the expense of buying both just to find out the motherboard is bad [if it is] .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 thaddy1978

thaddy1978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:45 AM

Well, we are staying at my parents place while we refinish the place we just bought...I am not using my desk top--and I actually took the video card out of my computer and when I removed the cover from my parents computer, I found that the video card would not fit any slot on my parents motherboard. I can take the power supply though, and check that, but again, the fans and lights come on when I power their computer up...I haven't actually stuck my ear down next to the machine, but it also sounds as though the drive is running too. I'll double check that though.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

A power supply can appear to work {"start the unit" & still be bad.

I can't tell you how many I've fixed that the fans would come on but the unit wouldn't start that had a bad power supply.
More often then not I'd try a new power supply & it still wouldn't start because the old power supply fried the motherboard when it failed.

#7 21stCenturyBreakdown

21stCenturyBreakdown

• Banned
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:06 PM

A power supply can appear to work {"start the unit" & still be bad.

I can't tell you how many I've fixed that the fans would come on but the unit wouldn't start that had a bad power supply.
More often then not I'd try a new power supply & it still wouldn't start because the old power supply fried the motherboard when it failed.

Yeah, I just had random crash problems and a new PSU fixed it right up. Although that piece of **** gateway probably only has a 280-320W PSU, I would still get a 400 or more just in case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users