Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot/Shutdown and Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Turaiel

Turaiel

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:48 PM

So... I'm running Vista, obviously, and I haven't ever reinstalled it on this machine (More into in my signature, Cadmium). The shutdowns are upwards of 3-4 minutes and the boot time is about 1-1.5 minutes. There aren't really that many processes running, so I don't think that's the problem. I'm suspecting the shut down time is due to a process hanging or something like that, but I'm not really sure.

As for the connection problem... a while back, the computer started having trouble carrying out socket operations after it was connected for a while (I have dialup). The only way to fix it was to reboot. Web pages would always load fine, but any other application I tried to run would just keel over. The problem stopped for quite a while, but it just started up again.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'll give you a cookie. :3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:20 PM

hello Riker

what if you ended say 10 processes. shutdown. try it again until finding 1 process that hangs ?

may take awhile worth a shot ?

good luck
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:26 PM

hello Riker

what if you ended say 10 processes. shutdown. try it again until finding 1 process that hangs ?

may take awhile worth a shot ?

good luck

I guess I could try that when I have an hour or two to spare. :huh:
Anyone else?

#4 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:16 PM