Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommendations for external hard drive for iMac

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

I just bought a new iMac with the standard 1TB hard drive. Been reading reviews for an external HD that I'll use for backups. Been looking at the WD 1TB MyBook Mac edition ($150 at Apple and WD online stores), and Maxtor 1Touch4 plus, 1TB ($120) at my local MicroCenter.

I've read some folks saying external hd's are unreliable, and to stay with internal ones or the small portable memory sticks/cards. Some have said Seagate makes junk, others say the same for WD and other brands. Hard for me to tell the sour grapes attitudes from actual bad products. Since I've never had an external drive nor an iMac, I have no experience with either. I must say the only hd that I've had that failed was 15 yrs. ago in a 286 PC.

Question is: what have your experiences been with these products and what would you recommend as a backup solution for me?

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:45 PM

Seagate had a run of bad luck for a while
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

If you need the portability...externals are OK.

I don't like the fact that data transfers are appreciably slower than with drives directly connected to the motherboard or a PCI controller card...but that's just my idiosyncratic beef :thumbsup:.

Logically, it makes troubleshooting issues with a drive more complex...because you add in the possibilities of problems with the enclosure to the possibility of problems with the drive...and it creates what I consider an unnecessary factor in problematical circumstances.

Added to that...bare drives are significantly cheaper (1TB drives at $69 last week, I think).

And...by all means, get SATA drives...even if you have to add a controller card.

Drive preference...is just that, drive preference. I've had Maxtor, IBM, Hitachi, WD, Seagate, etc...I have more Samsung drives than any other brand (because the price was right) and I can't say that any brand is "better" than another.

If you are concerned about drive failures...get drives with at least a 3-year warranty. If you get 3 years out of a drive you paid less than $100 for...I'd say that you got more than your money's worth. I still have drives which were made in 2001/2002 and they still perform...but they are IDE and have been made obsolete by the much faster SATA drives with larger capacities now available.

Louis

#4 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:32 PM

Thanks Mark and Louis. I don't need to have a portable drive so maybe I should buy an internal one. Holy cow, a 1TB drive for $69? They're giving them away at that price. Where did you see that Louis, I think I'll jump on that bargain. Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:47 PM

This week, see below...last week there were a zillion sales (Memorial Day):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2459

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

Louis

#6 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:46 PM

Thanks. Mind boggling prices.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:24 AM

Easily done :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users