Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D-Day June 6 1944

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:58 PM

Tomorrow is the 65th anniversary of D-Day, June 6, 1944.
The Longest Day

My Uncle was a glider pilot in the 438th Troop Carrier Group on D-Day.
Armed with nothing more than his service 45, he and a co-polit landed their glider with 20 troops well behind enemy lines. Setting Down at Landing Zone W at 11 pm June 5th, well behind Utah Beach to secure the crossroad south of St Mere Eglise.

Flying a Horsa glider, made of nothing more than balsa wood and canvas, the Troop Carriers landed thousands of our brave men into the unknown.

Thousands of troops died in the ensuing invasion on June 6th 1944.
I remember my Uncle every year on these days.
He would never talk about the war!

May they all be remembered for their bravery!

I would like to hear from anyone that had a relative involved with D-Day.
Post what you know about them.

May God Rest Their Souls!
In the beginning there was the command line.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

Some of us do remember. I lost an Uncle three days later after that day.

I don't remember the group he flew with now, but my Uncle only had a .45 cal machine pistol.
He was a Jump Master.
I don't even know if he was able to use such. He did not survive.

May we all bless and hold them close.!
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:47 PM

I should have noted in my last post that two of his Daughters became RN's serving many.
Two Sons also served later on in Military. They have all passed now with Honors.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:25 AM

On June 6, 1944, nearly 160,000 allied troops landed along a 50-mile stretch of heavily-fortified French coastline to fight Nazi Germany on the beaches of Normandy, France. More than 5,000 ships and 13,000 aircraft supported the D-Day invasion, and by day’s end, the allies had gained a foot-hold in Normandy.
http://www.defenselink.mil/home/features/2009/0609_dday/

Images
http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2009/...rmandy-beaches/

President Reagan's 40th Anniversary speech. I think it was the best.. The 2nd link is complete.
http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&...4&ct=title#

These mostly just boys are all my heroes. The world should always thank these guys and the gals that supported them . As we are free today for their sacrifices. The greatest generation in my book. They just did what needed to be done. One fell another kept going. Disciplined and dedicated to keeping America and the world free. God bless em.

My dad is still alive today,88 years old. He served in the Marine Corps. Everything he has ever told me of those days impressed me of what a great bunch of people they were. Some guys who had fought in the Europe theater and didn't have enough points to go home after the Nazi surrender they had to go to the Pacific theater. Yes they griped a bit but went knowing it had to be finished.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users