Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Router is better?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 captainjango

captainjango

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:49 PM

Link
Link
Link
Link
Link

I'm thinking one of the Belkins one is a better router and one of them also has a usb port so I can share my printer. The D-link also looks good and has a USB port but i'm not so sure about how good it is and if it's reliable.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:19 AM

I personally would go with the Netgear Router.

Netgear is a Reputable Brand when it comes to Home Networking.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:57 AM

There are a few good products out there, I got a Linksys WRT160N on sale and would not buy anything other then an "N" router. Could not see buying a "G" I wanted speed and distanceI can get 75 feet from my house and out run any "G" router out there. Got it in January almost six months of perfection. How I would select one for yourself is to study the ratings, the Net Gear like mentioned above has very good ratings. Check out Cnet and PC magazine sites for unbiased testing, most others are in someones pocket!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:10 PM

Depends on how you connect...I still do the wired thing, so any router does the job for me :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:38 PM

Depends on how you connect...I still do the wired thing, so any router does the job for me :thumbsup:.

Louis

Did not think about the options! Let us know who is your provider, Verizon, Cable, ETC.

#6 SteelSlasher

SteelSlasher

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:08 AM

when you say 75 feet away from your house, thats about 25 metres, does that mean you house has a width of 150feet or do you actually mean that you are going to use it 75 feet from your house since that seems a bit overkill for home networking IMO

A possibly cheaper solution would be to get a G router and then a regenerator, BTW i have a basic G netgear router (the lowest tier) and i can get full speed on a 10MB connect 8metres away from the router behind a double layer brick wall

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:22 AM

THe 75 feet is going out into the back yard and relaxing under a tree with my laptop. 25 meters is a fair bit farther.

Edited by OldPhil, 07 June 2009 - 08:23 AM.

#8 SteelSlasher

SteelSlasher

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:34 AM

yeah maybe 25 metres is bit farther but thats based on 3feet to metre, if you are just going to use it in your backyard and your house, a short range router for your house and regenerator which covers YOUR yard only will be suffice, i mean you wouldnt want the shifty guy next door to leech your bandwidth, i know i wouldnt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users