Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems building a computer!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 foymaster84

foymaster84

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:44 PM

Hi there, I've built computers before and never had this problem, but nevertheless I am now. The computer is making a loud beep that doesnt stop and not its booting up at all. Now I've noticed that when I take the graphics card out and then try booting up It doesnt beep, but still it doesnt appear to be booting up and theres no video on the monitor either. For now Im starting to think its the RAM not being compatible with the board, or maybe because its high performance ram the voltages are not correct and the board does not auto configure. The board is brand new however and it could be defective (just not to rule it out). So anyways here are the specs and maybe you know more than me. Thanks for any help.

Motherboard: Intel DG45ID Media series board.

CPU: Intel Q6700 Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz

Video card: EVGA GeForce 8800GT and I think it has 512MB graphics memory

RAM: Patriot Viper Extreme performance DDR2 2x2GB 800MHz Theres a ''CL'' and I dont know what that means. And then 4-4-4-12 again I dont know what that means either. The part # is S224 PVS24G6400LLK

Both the CPU and the graphics card have already been used and as a matter of fact I'm using them now, so there definateley not defective. However the ram is new, but it works with the computer I'm on now so its not the problem either. Anyways I think thats all you need to figure out this problem, and again thanks in advace for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:47 PM

welcome to bleepingcomputer!

It sounds like a ram issue, but you should check to see if the jumpers are in the correct position on the motherboard
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 foymaster84

foymaster84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:54 PM

I think the jumper is set to normal on plugs 1-2. Is that right or should I set it to 2-3 for configuration mode?

Thanks.

#4 jobob1

jobob1

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:03 PM

1 long beep sounds like you haven't plugged the 6 pin power into the video card. I would check that also.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:55 PM

Well, you have nothing to lose by trying it in the 2-3 position. If it's still giving you issues put it back to the original position.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 foymaster84

foymaster84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:38 PM

Well I've managed to boot up the computer and install windows and everything seems to be fine, except now I get one short beep and before it boots. Now according to the board specs that should mean it is a memory refresh error, not sure what that means though. So I'm still leaning back towards the voltages not matching and the board not auto configuring, maybe? So hopefully someone has an idea.

Also: the jumper for some reason was set to configure mode by default rite out of the package, weird! so thanks sterling :thumbsup:

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:16 PM

1 quick beep during startup is pretty normal.
That is a "passed POST' beep.

If you don't want any beeps look in the BIOS & see if you can find a "Silent boot" option.

If it were me I'd let it beep.
If you ever have a boot problem the beep codes may come in real handy.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users