Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

moving files from one hard drive to another is soooo slow!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dnst3

dnst3

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:00 PM

i bought a sata 2 1tb hdd to upgrade my size on my old pc. im moving my files (about40gigs) from the ide hdd to the sata one. not to mention my mobo only supports sata I. when i moved about 30gigs at first it was so slow. moving 10gb took 15 minutes :@ !!! that roughly calculates to 12 mb/s. so what?!?! am i copying files from a dang usb drive now?!@~?!@ i mean come on. however the page file on the original drive was set to page file size of 500 500 mb. initial and largest. i was running out of room on my 80gig pretty quickly. thats why i had to keep the page file so small. to try and improve speed this is what im doing. i went into system and added a page file on the new hard drive and made it 4080 4080mb. not sure if this will truly improve overall performance or even copying large files from or to. i defragged the original drive(C:). i also read up as much as i could understand about page files with windows xp. so ive learned windows xp doesnt like you messing with the page file, you cant defrag it, moving it entirely should improve things like moving large files around and giving it a partition would also help it. i dont know what to do either. so i just what with i described. any help/ideas people? thanks !

amd athlon 64 3800+
C:/ 80GB 7500rpm IDE
P:/ TB or 931GB sata II drive 7500rpm
3.18GB ram ddr 400
windows xp home sp3
integrated ati gfx chip 256 shared memory

did i miss anything?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:40 PM

It will also take a longer time if there are many files, instead of less files that are larger.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 dnst3

dnst3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:13 PM

i see. well so far with the 10 gig move it wasnt a huge amount but ill remember that.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:46 AM

Actually...I've found that moving many files is faster than moving several large ones :thumbsup:...it could just be my sense of non-perception.

Moving 10GB should take about 2 minutes going from IDE to SATA, from my recent experiences.

Leave the pagefile alone, moving it isn't going to accomplish anything you can perceive. Remove the pagefile from the new drive, it doesn't need one. Allow XP to manage the pagefile size.

Louis

#5 dnst3

dnst3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:03 PM

well i moving small ones im not sure about that. define small? the smallest file i moved that took about 10 seconds was a folder full of mp3's. 553 MB in 10 seconds. so i dont know. obviously youre right i guess. you say it should take 2 minutes but the 10 gig move wasnt 2 :thumbsup: so bleh! any other ways to improve this speed?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:51 PM

Well...I don't know of anything that's taxed by moves, other than RAM/CPU.

Nothing but guesswork follows...How much RAM is installed? Is Windows managing your pagefile?

Louis

#7 dnst3

dnst3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:46 PM

managging my profile? what do you mean? oh the hardware profile? actually i set up my own so its not on default. also the ram is 3.18 gigs

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:28 PM

Pagefile...not profile.

IMO, virtual memory (pagefile) works best when system/Windows handles the sizes. You might try that, for comparative purposes.

Louis

#9 dnst3

dnst3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:41 AM

ok well since then ive made sure to let windows handle that

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:32 PM

Of course...having a partition that requires either chkdsk /r or defrag...is going to probably slow up any operation to move files to or from.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users