Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP stuck at black screen. Won't Boot.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DJ Rob

DJ Rob

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:24 PM

Hello I have trying to fix this issue and I was hoping someone could help me out. Yesterday morning I did a restart on my XP PC and after the restart it will not boot again. It get to the point before the spash screen and then nothing happens.

Here is what I have done(in order):

-Tried to boot into Safe Mode. It started loading files, and hung on /Windows/System32/Drivers/Fasttx2k.sys
-After that I tried to do a Windows Repair Install from the XP SP3 disc. It went through copied all files, but on reboot it was same issue.
-Went into recovery console and did a CHKDSK /R. That finished, I was told 1 or more files were fixed. Rebooted, same issue, still hanging on the Fasttx2k.sys file.
-I have 4 sticks or RAM in PC. I took them all out and put them in 1 at a time. Same result all 4 times.
-Put in a spare video card, Same result, still halting on Fasttx2k.sys :thumbsup:
-Went to recovery console and renamed Fasttx2k.sys to Fasttx2k.old just to see what happens. Now hangs on atapi.sys
-Tried another repair install from XP CD, still no luck still hanging on atapi.sys

I did not run fixmbr or fixboot because they both warned me that I may mess things up even more if I run them. I was hoping to salvage my system. At this point I am still not sure if its hardware or software issues. The drive seems quite responsive, its a 500GB Western Digital SATA drive.

Before this all happened my PC was on for about 5 days. I did not install any software/harware in this time, but I did have O&O defragmenting software running. I have a weekly scheduled SPACE defrag running. Perhaps my MBR is fragmented, but if it were would I even get this far?

Has anyone seen this before any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:41 PM

Do you have a Promise controller installed? If so, I would uninstall same, using Device Manager...then reboot and reinstall.

http://www.file.net/process/fasttx2k.sys.html

http://www.prevx.com/filenames/98307292079...STTX2K.SYS.html

I would run chkdsk /r, How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

#3 DJ Rob

DJ Rob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:22 PM

The motherboard has a Promise RAID controller but I don't use it so I have it disabled in BOIS (been like this since I got the drive). I cannot get to device manager as XP won't boot at all. I have tried to run CHKDSK /r but no luck.

I am not sure if fixmbr or fixboot will make things better or worse.

UPDATE: :thumbsup:
I ran the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics tool from Western Digital on the drive, the drive passed with "No Errors Found" so I am quite confident that the drive is not pooched.

Edited by DJ Rob, 06 June 2009 - 05:49 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:37 PM

Well...if that controller is disabled, I have a hard time understanding why that Promise file is trying to load.

If your black screen reflects the cursor at the left upper corner...Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Louis

#5 DJ Rob

DJ Rob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:27 PM

Well...if that controller is disabled, I have a hard time understanding why that Promise file is trying to load.

I am not sure why its loading it either. But I don't think that particular file is the issue. I re-named the file it just hung on the next one instead.

I also tried the fixmbr and fixboot commands from the recovery console with no luck. The computer still behaves exactly the same.

I have also taken a look at this site: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503
I have tried all the things suggested there as well. I seem to be out of luck with this issue. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users