Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu Tweak !

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 acestu

acestu

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

Hi guys i got xp pro and i have so many apps that when i click task bar , programmes i get a full page of folders and some off the screen...

Is there any way of tweeking the start menu to show in list format for example instead of folder icons ?

Cheers
Acestu :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:12 PM

Right click your Start button, Properties - are you using the Start menu or the Classic Star menu?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 acestu

acestu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:19 PM

sorry m8 its not the actual start menu, its when you click on All programmes

cheers acestu

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,156 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:34 PM

The options/ideas for the display of the list of programmes :thumbsup: is a little different for the Start menu and Classic Start menu.

I don't want to waste our collective time talking about one and find out later you are using the other one.

Right click the Start button, Properties, Start Menu tab. You can choose Start menu or Classic Start menu. Which are you?

Since you said "All Programmes", I am going to guess the "new" Start menu, but please verify.

If you are using a non U.S. oriented version of XP, does it really say All Programmes?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 acestu

acestu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:39 PM

its the new menu jose

acestu

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,156 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:22 PM

I knew that.

If you right click Start, Properties, Customize, Advanced and look in the Start menu items near the bottom is a Scroll Programs box.

If it is checked, you will get one long list of programmes that may be more than can display causing you to have to slide down to the bottom to see more.

If the box is not checked, you will get horizontal panes of programmes - maybe several panes across. Maybe that will help you. Try it both ways.

It may be time to consider trying to do some housekeeping and consolidate some of your similar programmes in separate folders of their own - games, utilities, Windows XP Things, AV Scanners, etc. Just like the way the Accessories option is really just one offering that then will expand out to offer all the accessories, you can do the same with your programmes.

All of the stuff offered to you is made up of a combination of installed programmes for All Users and your user.

If you look here: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs

You will see what All Users see. The stuff in there should be very familiar.

There is also a folder for your user login in a similar location.

My personal Jose login folder is here: C:\Documents and Settings\Jose.WINDOWSXP-UFGC7XM\Start Menu\Programs

This is why sometimes you will get asked if you want an installation to make the new programme available to All Users or just the Current User - so XP knows which folder to put the new stuff in.

Most of my stuff is in All Users so if you navigate there, you can see all of your All Programmes stuff. You can then make a new folder and drag/cut&paste your desired programmes into it and off the All Programmes offering.

The new folder will show up under All Programmes just like the Accessories (and others) folder.

Everything you see on those menus from Start is in a folder somewhere and I prefer just to manipulate the content of the folder directly. Knowing how it all works makes changing things easy.

The worst option you may receive (in my opinion) is to change your screen resolution (smaller) so more will fit on the screen. But that is just my opinion...

See if this helps you out.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:21 PM

All of the stuff offered to you is made up of a combination of installed programmes for All Users and your user.

If you look here: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs

You will see what All Users see. The stuff in there should be very familiar.

There is also a folder for your user login in a similar location.

My personal Jose login folder is here: C:\Documents and Settings\Jose.WINDOWSXP-UFGC7XM\Start Menu\Programs

Tip: Right-click the Start Button and click Open to access your personal Start Menu folder, click Open All Users to open the "All Users" folder. :thumbsup:

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:21 AM

I use the classic style start menu and checked the box in the start menu settings, under customize, for "use personalized menu". That makes it so the only programs that show in "All Programs" are the ones I recently used. It takes a few days before it starts being personalized but then it is great. In order to have it show any program other than the ones I recently used, I just keep the menu open without clicking anything and then they all show and then it goes back to personalized for the next time I access it.

#9 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,156 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:08 AM

I am a Classic menu person too.

If you choose Personalized, you will only see the last things you have used and your offered programmes will never be higher vertically than the top of the Progammes option. You are offered as many as will fit from the top of the list to the bottom (10-12?) depending on your screen resolution until you have to scroll down. The list starts with 1 choice and more are added as you use more things.

This is XP keeping your list "tidy"(clean as they call it) by putting your most frequently used ones on top. This is why it takes some time for yours to settle down (or become "customized"), but it will adjust as you use different things. It looks like XP is maybe doing you a favor, but it is really just offering what you have used most in the past. I guess that is customizing.

There is no Personalized option in the new Start menu. There are some other options that I have not explored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users