Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dynamic DNS Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 harvlake

harvlake

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

Hi All, I hope you can help me out. Let me explain my situation.
I have DSL service through a Qwest modem. It doesn't show anywhere I can tell where I can use dynamic DNS. I do have a Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless router that does have the option for dDNS.

I connected the router behind the modem and when it get's it's address, it is from the inside of the modem. Needless to say, my router is getting an address like 192.168.0.3. But that isn't the address outside the modem.

I hope I haven't confused it to much. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Harv

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:17 PM

So long as your modem IP is different from the Linksys router IP you're ok.
Normally the DNS servers are from your ISP or you can use OpenDNS if you enter it in the router, as well as TCP network properties.
If you use a chain of routers (as might be the case here), the routers can be set as DNS servers, one to another, then out it goes to QUEST.

Your modem's internet address is one thing. That's what you got from QUEST.
Then the modem has its own IP address, assuming the modem does NAT=network address translation.
Then, if you set it up correctly, the modem gives out the address to the WRT54GS, which from your computer looks like internet address.
Then, if you use the Linksys DHCP service, the Linksys router gives out IP to your computers.
And in ipconfig /all you'll see DHCP and DNS snd gateway all having the WRT54GS LAN address.

That said, I don't think I really understand your question :thumbsup:
What do you mean by "dynamic DNS"?

#3 harvlake

harvlake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:51 PM

I figured it out. I needed to have the DSL modem in transparent bridge mode. That way the router could contact dyndns.org and give them the correct ip address.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users