Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro Hard Freezes

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Gregory109123

Gregory109123

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:21 AM

Recently my computer (Dell Dimension 4550, 1 GB Ram) has started to randomly hard freeze. It usually freezes around 1 hour after I've booted up. It can freeze while it's shutting down too.

I thought it was a hardware problem until I booted into safe mode and no freezes. Also, booting from a Ubuntu flash drive does not freeze either.

The only errors that I've found in Event Viewer is "The service npkcryt cannot be started: the system cannot find the path specified." I've researched this, and it involves the nProtect Gameguard software, which looks like it wasn't properly removed.

Also, in device manager, I have a yellow "!" next to 4 items.
Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller-This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12) If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.
NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller (B1) - Same as above
NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller-Same as above
NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller-Same as above

The only thing that I can think of that I've recently changed is that I've updated the BIOS from A04 to A08. Prior to that update, there was no freezing. But I'm not sure that the freezing started right after the update either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users