Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Trying to reinstall XP and setup cant find harddrive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bent1975

Bent1975

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:10 AM

Hello all....this is my 1st post but I always get good info just by browsing the boards!

I am trying to use my Windows XP Prof. CD to reformat and reinstall windows on my computer. I put the CD in, reboot my computer, and choose the option to boot from CD-ROM 1st. So far this works fine. I enter the windows setup where it loads all the normal setup stuff. Then it gives me the options of installing windows and tells me to hit ENTER.

PROBLEM is, when I do this, it tells me setup cannot find a hard drive on my computer and it would reboot in 15 seconds. I dont understand whats going on since there obviously is a hard drive!!

Can anyone offer help or suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:20 AM

Some suggestions!
Go into the BIOS see if it is set to auto to aquire the drives, make sure the system is recognizing the HD. If not check all your connections, I once flipped the cable on an IDE that caused what you have. SATA plug in differently doing away with that. If you do have IDE and have the HD & CD on the same cable it may be seeing the CD as master. Check jumpers on both drives, most of the it is something simple that is over looked that drive you crazy.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 computer worker

computer worker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:39 AM

It is simple,but you should do followe below ways:
1.check your harddrive if become bad.you can enter your computer bios,look that if have harddrive information;
2.If you can find hard information in bios,then you mast re-fdisk for it,chioce fat32 or ntfs format it;but don't forget at last of fdisk to setup the "ACTIVE PARTITION";You have done all these things,begain to install winxp pro,it will win! if it not still,you will have to chane your CD.
3.if you cant find hard information in bios,you know what do you should do,example you can check your data line of hard disk,even to change change hard.
now,to do these,good luck!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:00 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Is this "XP disk" a recovery/restore CD?

Does the hard drive properly reflect in the BIOS?

Is the HD properly connected, jumpers properly set?

Louis

#5 DJ Rob

DJ Rob

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:27 PM

I had this exact issue yesterday. My issue was that my drive was a SATA drive and the Windows XP install CD does not have the SATA drivers so the installer does not see the drive.

If this is the case you need to get the SATA drivers from your Motherboard manufacturer. Then you have 2 options.

A. Put drivers on a floppy and press F6 when prompted by the installer.

OR

B. If you don't have a floppy (like me) You can use a tool to put the SATA drivers onto your install CD. You can find instructions here:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users