Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

any ideas ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Iceman244

Iceman244

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:12 AM

I am getting seriously fed up with the amount of Spam emails I am receiving.

Ok admittedly itís partly my fault as I have been to some dubious sites I should not have gone to.

But now they are seriously getting on my nerves.

I downloaded the free trial version of Spam bully, which gave me the option of reporting the Spam emails, but this didnít seem to do any good or stop them.

One of the so called ISPís I reported them to was called Apinec.com who just sent an automated reply that I didnít fully understand with my limited technical knowledge saying it was nothing to do with them.

So can somebody please tell me how I can stop these emails coming through and also how I can report them, as I do not want to change my email address?

The other thing is my inbox on outlook.

My emails used to go into my inbox all together at the bottom but now they enter the inbox alphabetically which means I have to scroll all the way through instead of them being in one place.

So how do I change this back?

Thanks in advance

Iceman

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:21 AM

It is a good idea to have at least two e-mail addy's. One for personal use and one as a throw away address. I use my second one for all correspondence that I am not quite sure about. Such as entering contests or anything related to a site (I am not quite sure about) that requires my e-mail address being submitted. That way personal e-mails and others that might bring in spam, is not mixed together.

If I am registering a trusted product or registering on a trusted site. I use my personal one.

It is also always best to not open any un-solicited spam e-mails. They then know that they have found a legitmate address. These can be laden with virus'. Also, do not ever click on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of spam e-mails. That will verify that your e-mail addres is legit too. Spam e-mailer's trade and sell e-mail address', which multiplies the amount of spam you receive. Take my word on that. I have been there. I was receiving hundreds of spam e-mails. To where I had to trash an e-mail address. And start fresh.

The other thing is my inbox on outlook.

My emails used to go into my inbox all together at the bottom but now they enter the inbox alphabetically which means I have to scroll all the way through instead of them being in one place.

So how do I change this back?

You should start another topic for this question. :thumbsup: So everything does not get confused.

I will be removing your other post concerning this subject. As it is a duplicate and not neccessary. :flowers:

Edited by scarlett, 30 June 2005 - 11:33 AM.

Posted Image

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:05 PM

Scarlett's advice about mutiple accounts is a good. Keep one for trusted friends/family/sites and others that are free and easily deleted, for everything else.
Some other points to remember:
1. Never reply in any way to Spam Emails. Do not click on any links or use the "op-out" link.
2. Treat your Email address much like you would your home address or phone number. Do not give it out to strangers even if they offer gifts.
3. The only real way to defeat Spam is to ignore it. Many ISPs and Email providers offer Spamguards; make use of these to filtre your Email before downloading.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users