Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell OptiPlex GXa Fan Failure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fantym

Fantym

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:56 PM

hello all, I have a small :thumbsup: problem with a machine I'm resurecting for my son to use. The problem is the fan has failed, and I have another fan, actually many others, It has a 3 pin connector on the mother board 12v 12v GND. I can hook up the fan and it works, well the fan works however even before I can get to the part of POST where I can enter setup it stops and says " WARNING: Fan Failure. System will be shutdown." So i'm guessing I need to find out where/how it checks for the fan prescence, and fool it. I have also downloaded and looked through the manual's from dell, they are located -> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dfuj/ .

And if you are wondering why a computer so old, my son is 3, I just need to get past POST so i can put in 98 and some old kids games.

------------------------
Visit My Company's sites

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:24 PM

You are talking about the fan in the back of the case & not on the CPU ?

The fan has to run at a specific RPM to get rid of the error message.
Unfortunatly Dell used fans that ran at a non standard RPM .
There is a way to trick it by connecting 2 of the wires together
It's been so long since I've done one I can't remember the exact 2 wires but I'll see if I can find out with a search.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 04 June 2009 - 09:30 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:40 PM

I've done a lot of searching & can't find the old article on the fan error workaround.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Optiplex-GX1-Fan-...1QQcmdZViewItem

That's about as good as it gets when it comes to neccessary parts to make a older unit work.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 04 June 2009 - 11:41 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users