Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SWP 2009

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 evilfirepixie

evilfirepixie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:36 PM

Recently I noticed my antivirus (eTrust) was not up to date. When I updated it, it either downloaded or activated SWP 2009 on my computer (Nexlink running XP).

The virus not only installed it's "antivirus" SWP 2009 demo software, but it also has disabled me from running any .exes, which means I can't install or open any of my anti-malware programs (I have malwarebytes on my system and attempted to installed superantispyware. The latter just gave me a standard XP error message). I disabled "sysguard.exe" in the task manager upon start-up but that only kept the "antivirus" program from opening. .exes still won't run. They just stack up in task manager. When using explorer to browse files, hitting the back button causes Firefox to open and direct me to random webpages.

I started my computer up in safeboot mode and attempted to clean it but it did little good. Running eTrust found nothing. Malwarebytes still won't open. Superantispyware still won't run. I've looked up some tutorials on manually removing the virus but they all vary, so I'm not sure what to do. Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:44 PM

Hello and welcome.
Some types of malware will disable MBAM (MalwareBytes) and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it.

Before saving any of your security programs, rename them first. For example, before you save Malwarebytes', rename it to something like MBblah.exe and then click on Save and save it to your desktop. Same thing after you install it. Before running it, rename the main executable file first
Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run..

Another work around is by not using the mouse to install it, Just use the arrow keys, tab, and enter keys.
Open up command prompt, type in following commands:
XP >> click the Start menu at the lower-left of your computer's desktop and select "Run". Type cmd into the Run box and click "OK".
Vista >> click the Start menu at the lower-left of your computer's desktop and Type cmd in the search box.

regsvr32 mbamext.dll
regsvr32 ssubtmr6.dll
regsvr32 vbalsgrid6.ocx
regsvr32 zlib.dll

If you cannot use the Internet,you will need access to another computer that has a connection.
From there save mbam-setup.exe to a flash,usb,jump drive or CD. Now transfer it to the infected machine, then install and run the program.
If you cannot transfer to or install on the infected machine, try running the setup (installation) file directly from the flash drive or CD by double-clicking on mbam-setup.exe so it will install on the hard drive.

Manually Downloading Updates:
Manually download them from HERE and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 evilfirepixie

evilfirepixie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:29 PM

I followed your instructions and your advice worked! I was able to install and scan after a few attempts. I had to scan a few times as I was having issues with updates and restarting my computer. Here are the 4 logs i have- As you can see, at the moment, there are still 3 found items on my computer that won't leave.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.37
Database version: 2182
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

6/10/2009 7:21:50 PM
mbam-log-2009-06-10 (19-21-50).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|H:\|)
Objects scanned: 34126
Time elapsed: 13 minute(s), 18 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
\\?\globalroot\systemroot\system32\UACyagusybdaoywqmp.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{bad4551d-9b24-42cb-9bcd-818ca2da7b63} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{bad4551d-9b24-42cb-9bcd-818ca2da7b63} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\iehelper.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
\\?\globalroot\systemroot\system32\UACyagusybdaoywqmp.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Database version: 2202

6/10/2009 7:48:21 PM
mbam-log-2009-06-10 (19-48-21).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 90299
Time elapsed: 23 minute(s), 20 second(s)

Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 5
Files Infected: 5

Memory Modules Infected:
\\?\globalroot\systemroot\system32\UACyagusybdaoywqmp.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\cs41275 (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\UAC (Rootkit.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\AvScan (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Illysoft (Rogue.SpyNoMore) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Illysoft (Rogue.SpyNoMore) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
\\?\globalroot\systemroot\system32\UACyagusybdaoywqmp.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\WINDOWS\sysguard.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\documents and settings\my computer\local settings\Temp\c.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\documents and settings\my computer\local settings\temporary internet files\Content.IE5\JKYNFUZY\divx20[1] (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\uacinit.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.

Database version: 2202

6/11/2009 12:06:44 AM
mbam-log-2009-06-11 (00-06-44).txt

Objects scanned: 91391
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 28 second(s)

Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 1
Files Infected: 1

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\UAC (Rootkit.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\system tool (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\uacinit.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.

Database version: 2261

6/11/2009 12:24:59 AM
mbam-log-2009-06-11 (00-24-49).txt

Objects scanned: 94264
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 17 second(s)

Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 2
Files Infected: 1

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{bad4551d-9b24-42cb-9bcd-818ca2da7b63} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\UAC (Rootkit.Trace) -> No action taken.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\uacinit.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:48 AM

Hi, the combinatiion of TDDS backdoor and uacinit rootkit malware make it important that you read this ...

One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 evilfirepixie

evilfirepixie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:11 PM

Well, that's not what I wanted to hear haha. How likely is it that my non-financial accounts- web accounts, facebook, etc- are at risk of being hijacked as well?

I thought about it and decided I'll do a reformat with the help of a computer guy in the coming weeks. I'd like to transfer my documents (music, photos, word files- nothing from the program files or anything like that) to an external beforehand. Am I at risk of transferring either virus or trojan by doing so?

Thanks so much for all your help, it's appreciated.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

Hello. I didn't want to say it either :thumbsup:
They may be less likely but still a target. You've made the choice I would have with my machine.

Not an unwise decision to make. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action but I cannot make that decision for you.

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any autorun.ini or .exe files because they may be infected. Some types of malware may disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you take a close look at the full name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

The best proceedure is a low level format. This completely wipes the drive. Then reinstall the OS.
Use the free version of Active@ KillDisk.
Or Darik's Boot And Nuke

The best sources of Information on this are
Reformatting Windows XP
Michael Stevens Tech

Of course also feel free to ask anything on this in the XP forum. They'd be glad to help.

2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe's, .scr, .com, .pif etc... as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

Download Belarc Advisor - builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser.
Run it and then print out the results, they may be handy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users