Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gibberish at boot, Screen Distortion?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 begone77

begone77

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

Computer: about 2-3 years old maybe older
Asus AM2 SLI-deluxe
AMD 5200+ dual core
Nvidia 8800 GT
Windows XP

What I was doing: I was playing DOW2 when my game crashed to a black screen it then flickered for a moment as some blue pixels at the top of the screen showed through, then it went solid black with a lighter black bar across the top, I force restarted. This is the 3rd time this happened to me recently (had not been doing it) but this time when I started up the computer my motherboards logo looked funny, lower quality with misplaced pixels in it. Then on the next screen just gibberish letters randomly placed littered the screen for a bit and it took me to the black screen where I could make out

"Start windows normally"

"last known good configuration"

etc. everything was gibberish letters.

I start it in safe mode, screen feels up with gibberish, starts in safe mode. I pick administrator and my background where it would normally be solid black is like blue wiggly lines across the screen horizontally.

Needless to say I have never seen this before now, I goggled this for a while and found nothing. I assume it's hardware related. I am leaning that my power supply or video card hit the dust. sadly I don't have spares around to test it with.

Could it be system corruption?

Any help would be nice thanks.

Edited by begone77, 04 June 2009 - 05:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 intrinsic

intrinsic

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:36 PM

First thing to do is try uninstalling and reinstalling the videocard driver. Get the latest version for your card from nvidia's website, go to device manager and uninstall the old driver. Then reboot and install the new driver. If that doesn't help then it's possible your videocard has bit the dust.

#3 begone77

begone77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:49 PM

First thing to do is try uninstalling and reinstalling the videocard driver. Get the latest version for your card from nvidia's website, go to device manager and uninstall the old driver. Then reboot and install the new driver. If that doesn't help then it's possible your videocard has bit the dust.

Uninstalled drivers and ran chkdsk but still the same. I don't think its the video card because how would that effect the default windows text? Ill see if I can test the PSU soon.

Thanks for the help.

*edit: Also i can only boot to safe mode it hangs on normal windows load.

Edited by begone77, 04 June 2009 - 05:52 PM.

#4 begone77

begone77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:38 PM

Replaced PSU and still does it, the gibberish is also in the bios screen of the motherboard.

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

Turn it off
Unplug it
Press the on button to discharge any residual electricity
Open the computer
locate the jumper to clear the CMOS [if it has one, usually by the battery]
Use the jumper to clear the CMOS
[Don't forget to put it back in the original [default] posistion]

Try the unit
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 begone77

begone77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:56 PM

Ah I stand corrected, got my friend to bring over his 8800 and it did the trick. Funny that a video card can effect the bios screen like that but whatever.

#7 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

Sounds like a fried video card. Do you have enough ventalation? Video cards can produce the same if not more heat than some CPU's

#8 begone77

begone77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:47 PM

Sounds like a fried video card. Do you have enough ventalation? Video cards can produce the same if not more heat than some CPU's

Thanks for the reply.
It was indeed the video card. I sent it in for repair so let us hope for the best :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users