Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am i Secure?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Systikk

Systikk

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:26 PM

Hi, i'm trying to secure my own computer and help my friends out with theirs. I'm trying to secure and clean theirs.

Here's what i have...

DSL router with firewall and WPA encrypt.

Avast Free
SuperAntiSpyware
Disabled third party cookies in browser
No software Firewall

Here are the methods i'm considering using to help secure and clean my friends computer..

Install SUPERAntiSpyware and do a safe mode and normal scan

Install Avast and do a safemode, normal and boot time scan

Do a DDS scan and post log

Maybe use CCleaner

For network...

Tell them to change router login password

Change router firewall to a decent setting

Change security to WPA

Disable third party cookies in browser

If all else fales, suggest a reformat.

-

Is this good enough or too much?

What free programs should i use?

What further advice should i give my friends?

I want to secure my own and their computer as much as possible without it being overwhelming to them.

Thanks for any help :thumbsup:.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:45 AM

For removing potentially existing malware you should wait for someone to respond to your HijackThis log.

Edit: you should wait until your HijackThis log is resolved before changing or installing anything

Regarding the prevention aspect, an good antivirus is a minimum, you can stick with Avast and change the settings so it automatically updates both the database and program and to automatically remove threats - to do this click "Customize" under the detailed settings for On-Access Protection Control and enable Silent Mode "With general answer No".

You can complement Avast with Windows Defender or ThreatFire. And you can keep Superantispyware free as an on-demand scanner.

WOT is an excellent site ratings program that warns you of bad sites.

If you haven't done so already, turn on Windows Firewall, disable Autorun by downloading this script and also turn on Automatic Updates.

Also, install Secunia PSI and try to get your friend to understand the importance of updating.

It would also be useful if you teach your friend about some safe surfing practices - for example, do not click on random links, download "codecs" from suspicious sites or unknown antispyware programs, as they are probably rogue.

What OS, browser and PDF reader is your friend using?

Edited by Someones, 05 June 2009 - 08:45 AM.

#3 Systikk

Systikk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for your help!

My friend is using Windows XP Media Center, Internet Explorer(not sure the version), Adobe reader.

#4 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for your help!

My friend is using Windows XP Media Center, Internet Explorer(not sure the version), Adobe reader.

After your HijackThis log is resolved, I would suggest you use Mozilla Firefox as your default web browser, and to uninstall Adobe Reader and replace it with Foxit Reader. The reason for this is Firefox and Foxit are both have much less vulnerabilities that are being targeted by malware.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:58 PM

Hello I see you have an HJT log posted here. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1282149

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users