Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keyboard and mouse touch pad aren't working

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jjinx

jjinx

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

Compaq nc6320 laptop XP Professional. Was working fine then suddenly the keyboard doesn't work. The touch pad works when the computer is first turned on then stops as soon as I touch the keyboard. Keyboard isn't working at all. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:35 PM

before the computer boots into windows, there should be some choices to choose from which require you to press a certain F# button or delete. Restart your computer, and when it first turns back on, look to see what the button is, and then press it. This will help us decide if it's an issue with windows, or the laptop itself.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 jjinx

jjinx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:52 AM

It has F9 for Boot and F10 for setup and neither one do anything. Windows goes ahead and loads normally. A sign on screen comes up and I can't use the touch pad for it, have to use external mouse. Then after the computer boots up the rest of the way, the touch mouse works until I hit a button on the keyboard...so strange.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:52 PM

Well, it must be a problem with the laptop itself.

Try taking the keyboard off and cleaning out under it.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 jjinx

jjinx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:30 PM

Hmm...It's my sons laptop provided to him from school. I'm not comfortable with taking it apart so I guess he's done with it for the summer. Thanks though. Look for me to come back soon since he'll be on my computer for the summer, I'm sure I'll have plenty of issues lol. JK thanks again for your time :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

I would try removing the drivers for same, if possible...then rebooting.

Louis

#7 jjinx

jjinx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:00 PM

How do I remove the drivers?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:00 PM

<<Then after the computer boots up the rest of the way, the touch mouse works until I hit a button on the keyboard...>>

Boot the system, navigate to Device Manager using the mouse...uninstall the keyboard/touchpad drivers, reboot.

Device Manager - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_Manager

Device Manager Basics - http://www.cybertechhelp.com/tutorial/arti...-manager-basics

How do I get into Windows Device Manager - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000833.htm

Louis

#9 jjinx

jjinx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

I've uninstalled the drivers and rebooted and nothing has changed.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:29 PM

That was my best guess...

Louis

#11 jjinx

jjinx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

Thank you for your time and advice. Temporary fix is an external keyboard until school starts back up and he can get a new one. Thanks :thumbsup:

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:55 PM

Sorry we couldn't do more...I suggest that you try the HP/Compaq user forums before tossing in the towel. Seems unlikely that this is the first time a user has experienced this.

Louis

#13 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:06 PM

Ask your son if possibly he was eating something like pretzels or potato chips or something else "crumbly" while using the laptop.

It may have something stuck under a key.

I also checked my nx6125 ( it's very similar ) and checked for a FN+key to disable the mouse. Nothing to report.

Only other suggestion would be the "Synaptics Touchpad Driver" updated drivers if you haven't already.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#14 jjinx

jjinx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:53 AM

Thanks, I will look into it there hamlius :flowers:

This is actually a loaner laptop for the summer because his spacebar wasn't working on his so it got turned in to be repaired. This one seemed in great condition. He had it less then a week and this problem appeared. It's still very clean. I don't think he dropped any food or spilled anything....I don't think he would tell me at this point if he did lol. I did try to update the driver but nothing :thumbsup: I'm going to check out hp forums like suggested and in the meantime he does have use of the laptop now with the external keyboard. It'll work for the summer then he'll have his own back. Thanks again! :D

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:04 AM

Feedback appreciated, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users