Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major pc problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rheanun

Rheanun

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:59 PM

Hello,
My cousin is having some major problems with her computer and I am trying to help but I am at a loss. Her husband tried to update her IE to version 8. He was having problems and then unfortunately decided to try to fix things himself. He apparently deleted or uninstalled some programs and now she cannot find her D drive and we cannot install her external drive at this time. We tried to go through the regedit and fix the missing d drive problem but we could only get so far and then it started giving her errors yet again. Is there anything else we can possibly do without having to do a whole reinstall of windows xp? I am thinking that her husband deleted some kind of system files and she cant even check the system files because she does not have the XP disc. Help please if possible. Any advice will be great!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:05 PM

Hello,

It does sound like something important has been deleted. Can you try a system restore?

the System File Checker, it may be able to help. (you will need an XP CD for this) http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

1. Click Start
2. Then run.
3. Type sfc /scannow
4. Press enter.
5. Follow the prompts

The SFC works by checking Windows system files and replacing the damaged files.

The event viewer may give some more information.

1. Click Start select run
2. Type eventvwr.exe
3. Press enter
4. Search through the groups for errors and warnings.
5. Double click on each error and or warning.
6. Locate the copy to clipboard button, Posted Image (under the two arrows)
7. Let us know what you find. (paste the results)
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Rheanun

Rheanun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:29 PM

Unfortunately she doesn't have an xp cd. Without that cd she probably is stuck right?

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

She will be stuck from using sfc, but she should still be able to see the event viewer.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Rheanun

Rheanun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:41 PM

Yes I will have her look at the viewer, I meant to say to that she has tried the system restore and no luck. She tried to go back as far as march and then just a day ago and almost everything in between and it just gives her an error saying that it didn't work when the computer comes back on. I will have her do the viewer though.......by the way is there a way to get an internet explorer back on her computer when IE has been uninstalled? Her husband really did a number on that computer and uninstalled the whole internet explorer and now she doesn't have any access to the Internet. I tried to have her download firefox and try to put it on the other computer but since the drives are not working it wont do any good. :thumbsup:

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:47 PM

Have you tried to do a windows update?
Regards,

Alan.

#7 Rheanun

Rheanun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

She can't do a windows update without some kind of a web browser right?

#8 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:08 PM

Correct. If I remember correctly, Internet Explorer is required to use Windows Update.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users